Let's have another party? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Let's have another party?

woodbine
woodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 6,095 Disability Gamechanger
Are you dismayed and angry at yet more and more disclosures of parties in Whitehall ( a number of then in no.10 and its gardens) at the height of the first lockdown?
A time when we were prohibited from seeing loved ones? denied meeting friends, limited in numbers attending funerals, when weddings were cancelled? We almost all to a man and woman stuck to the rules, whilst those who govern us thought themselves above the law.
So far it would seem that the police have been pressured not to investigate, the Met boss recently saying that they "don't investigate historic covid crimes" in the same week somebody was being prosecuted for doing just that.
It certainly looks to me that the elite imagine themselves above the law, and that cannot be right in any democracy...ever
Be kind to newer members

Comments

• oldngrumpy
    oldngrumpy Member Posts: 161 Pioneering
    The Tories have gone too far.
    B. J.,  should resign with immediate effect after today's
    P. M. Questions. 
    The slimey, lying, ****.

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Member Posts: 2,298 Pioneering
    There is going to be a lot of debate publicly around this issue. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 13,344 Disability Gamechanger
    Will be interesting to see where this goes today 

Seems a lot of new things coming out but why did 8t take so long to be leaked 
  • Ross_Scope
    Ross_Scope Posts: 5,742

Scope community team

Seems as though it was a hot topic at PMQs today: This is the latest piece from the BBC about the PM's apology.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Member Posts: 2,298 Pioneering
    @Ross_Scope I watched PMQs and it was very intense. 
  • Ross_Scope

Scope community team

I can imagine it was @MarkM88, I can see this one rumbling on for a while

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Libby_Scope
    Libby_Scope Posts: 736

Scope community team

Me too @Ross_Scope and @MarkM88 - it's appalling really!
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • Teddybear12
    Teddybear12 Community Co-Production Group Posts: 2,126 Pioneering
    edited January 12
    Why are people surprised by what Boris Johnson does ? He won the last election with an 80 seat majority. We knew what he was like and made excuses for him he just shows a leopard does not change their spots.   Will he resign I would think unlikely.
  • woodbine
    A number of senior Tories are turning against Boris in public, if Sue Greys report goes against him he will either have to resign or his own MP's will dump him, however as someone who doesn't vote Tory I would rather he stayed as PM that way we can get rid of him at the 2024 election.
    Be kind to newer members
  • mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Member Posts: 8,295 Disability Gamechanger
    He won’t go on the back of today as that would be seen as humiliating. He won’t wait until the report as that risks the same issue. My guess is that he either rides it out as he has done so many times before or he goes between now and the report so he can claim he’s done his bit; is exhausted; wants some family time (likely not his own on previous form) and so on.

England is quietly sliding into fascist dictatorship and is following the exact pattern of every country which ever has. It’s not a sudden revolution. It’s a slow slide accompanied by the gathering of laws to support that and absolute denial by the electorate. Brexit legislation gave government powers which far exceeded the need and, as predicted at the time, they were the equivalent of those the third reich granted itself and would not be rescinded when Brexit was done. The right to peaceful protest recently died and almost nobody has noticed. It is staggering. When Scotland secedes England becomes a one party state. 
  • woodbine
    Have to agree Mike (that will surprise you), some of the new laws are nothing short of shocking, therein I think lies part of Boris's problem many in his cabinet are rabid right wing conservatives with a capital C, and to be fair to Boris he seems to be an old fashioned one nation tory. I suspect much of what we know about these "partys" has been drip fed to the media by people inside the government who want rid of Boris, he won them an election he has dealt with covid (sometimes well sometimes not) now they want shut of him.
    If they succeed in getting rid of him I shudder to think who might replace him.

On the question of Scotland I'm 95% certain that at some point in the next two years they will vote to leave the UK .
    Be kind to newer members
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 25,649 Disability Gamechanger
    Absolutely disgraceful! and to think i missed the first 3 months of my grandson's life... My daughter is expecting my 2nd grandchild in August (YIPPEE), i won't be missing any of his/her life for anything or anyone!
  • mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Member Posts: 8,295 Disability Gamechanger
    Doesn’t surprise me at all @woodbine. It’s easy to forget when you disagree with someone sometimes that you also agree with them on lots too. 

I think there can be little doubt that leaks are coming from outside and in. We’ll have to disagree on dealing with Covid but, yes, it’s very much a case of careful what you wish for. He’s appalling but what comes next is likely in many ways to be far worse. 

Also have to agree re: Scotland. No country reverses course and goes “actually we’ve changed our mind”. They’ve started down that road and there’s only one ending. Labour have no chance in England once Scottish Labour have gone. 

Today they pulled off a devious, fantastic stunt around the benefit cap which will make life worse for many. Voted through overwhelmingly as Labour abstained. 

The cap lest we forget covers around 50% of the welfare budget and there is a huge overspend every year so it is deliberately set too low so it triggers a requirement in government to look at ways to reduce welfare spending every year. The perfect excuse to retain benefit cuts and introduce some new ones too.

All the above completely missed by the media thanks to PMQ etc.

• janer1967
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 25,649 Disability Gamechanger
    janer1967 said:
    Congratulations @poppy123456

Thank you :)
  • Ross_Scope

Scope community team

Congratulations to you and your family @poppy123456, that's lovely news.

• Justcheckingin15
    Justcheckingin15 Member Posts: 233 Pioneering
    Ditto @poppy123456, I too missed seeing our Grandchild..who was born in May.😟
  • Libby_Scope
    Libby_Scope Posts: 736

Scope community team

That's wonderful news @poppy123456 :). I hope you manage to get to spend some good quality time with your grandchild in August! 
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • woodbine
    So what do people think? will he

resign
    be replaced by another tory
    or just carry on as though he's done nothing wrong ?
    Be kind to newer members
  • janer1967
    He will attempt to carry on I think with his 0athetic excuse that he thought it was work event 

He will wait for the report at least hoping it clears him but the report could be even more damaging 

That's if he isn't forced out sooner public reaction is very strong and rightly so 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.