Future career. Scared of losing my job to get another one, and can't afford time off — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Future career. Scared of losing my job to get another one, and can't afford time off

Options
putter218
putter218 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 5 Listener
edited January 2022 in Work and employment
Scared of losing my job to get another one only because of a mortgage but also can't have anxiety but can't have time off to treat it bec ause can't afford to be off. Any advice. 
Tagged:

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @putter218

Thanks for making this post, and for speaking honestly about what you are going through.

I think many people who have a mortgage have concerns about their employment, it is probably a constant worry for people that leaving or moving jobs brings  a level of uncertainty that can be uncomfortable, so you definitely aren't alone with those feelings.

Are you wanting to move jobs, or do you just have concerns about losing the one you currently have?

I think you could consider looking for jobs similar to the one you already do, you can set up alerts on websites like Indeed that will let you know when a job matching your criteria appears. It can be a good way of keeping up to date about what is out there so that you can move at the right time if something comes up. Financially, it's always sensible to have some savings tucked away for a rainy day, in case you ever get to a point where you need to dip into those savings to get you by for a bit while you find something else. Additionally, I'm not sure whether you live with anybody but I'm sure they'll gladly help and support you through any job change.

Regarding your anxiety, you could access treatment for it whilst in work if that is something you would feel okay with. Initially, it could be helpful to contact your Gp and explain to them how your anxiety is impacting you, and I'm sure they will support in any way they can. The mental health charity Mind also have plenty of resources, such as this one about self-care for anxiety.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.