Should we be concerned about a war? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Should we be concerned about a war?

woodbine
woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
edited March 2022 in Coffee lounge
Growing tensions between the west and Russia over the Ukraine are slowly escalating, we and the Americans have started to remove staff from our Embassy's as Russia has 100,000 troops on it's border with the Ukraine, NATO America and Britain have started sending weapons to the Ukraine and troops are ready to deploy if needed.

The question is then will there be an invasion? and if there is what will NATO do in return? One of the possibilities might be that Russia cuts off gas supplies to Europe putting more pressure on ever rising energy cost. Another is that we decide to go to the Ukraines defence and send troops, and fighter aircraft in.

I don't want to be seen as being an alarmist but it's something that we have to be prepared for.
2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Comments

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,719 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi ya woodbine, good thread. I'm aware of it but I've not kept up on the developments. I was thinking the same about the gas being stopped to our supplies. 
  • woodbine
    We don't import much gas from Russia however other countries do and that will/could/might push prices higher, also we don't have the storage capacity that some of our European neighbours have.

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,719 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2022
    Oh I thought majority of ours was from Russia. Hold on. Just checked and we do supply 50%
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    There is also the effect on world stock markets to consider, the FTSE lost several billion pounds worth of value today and I don’t know if you’ve noticed but often it’s the general public who end up paying for this sort of thing. And that’s ignoring the effect on gas prices which seem to be in an ever upward spiral presently.

Without actually attacking the Ukraine the Russians are having an immensely destabilising effect with their build up of forces. It seems to me that their actions are meant to test the West while they sense a weakness. All in my humble and not that well informed opinion of course.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    If its going to happen it will there is that much going on in the world right now maybe the bible is right who knows 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    There has been a programme on ch4 on Mondays warships at sea and this has covered the navy and detection of Russian spy ships   submarine and aircraft in or near British waters 

Tonight it showed UK warrship acting as a barrier between a Russian sub and USA sub coming to port in UK 

An interesting watch for anyone interested 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    @Username_removed I agree it did actually say that they would retaliate against the action of the spy plane suddenly appearing and flying over the warship at very low height 
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    janer1967 said:
    There has been a programme on ch4 on Mondays warships at sea 
    @janer1967 I watch it too it’s very interesting. 
  • AndrewHall
    AndrewHall Community member Posts: 230 Pioneering

Putin wouldn't have invaded Ukraine without the support of US and UK, who are against EU expansion. Don’t believe what these discredited hypocritical leaders are saying to the cameras.

Never allow DWP assertions to define you. They never have evidence of your true circumstances.
  • woodbine
    I'm sure that the UK has no say in EU expansion.
    There is talk that Putin might be thinking of imposing marshal law in Russia, and that rather than live behind a new iron curtain Russians are escaping while they can mainly to Finland.

• AndrewHall
    @AndrewHall And what are your sources for supporting that statement? 
    You are asking this because it is not what you want to believe. 
    Never allow DWP assertions to define you. They never have evidence of your true circumstances.
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Im hoping the admin team will respond to the reports I’ve made as there is no evidence or links provided. 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @AndrewHall I wonder if you could tell us a bit more about what you've said here:

Putin wouldn't have invaded Ukraine without the support of US and UK, who are against EU expansion.

As a reminder of our house rules on the community, and to help keep all our members safe, we ask that anyone posting must a
    lways check that information is correct and appropriate, must not present opinions as facts, and share reputable sources of information.

It's important that we all work together to identify any misinformation where it occurs on the forum. 

Could you share the source of this information for us? 
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Conspiracy theories are not evidence. In my opinion there is no way that the UK or the US would be complicit with Russia on any invasion. 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Lisatho11987777
    @Alex_Scope then that should go for everyone on here before they say anything they should say its in their opinion or alleged and everyone on here is guilty of doing it at one time or another 
  • Lisatho11987777
    What ever any one says on here we can't change or do things to stop it but what has been reported many times online on the news and in news paperless is that the UK putting all the sanctions in place is pushing putin into a corner 

The only person who knows what they are going to do is putin to an extent there have been reports of mental health issues and that putin has cancer and is dying if those reports are true no one knows but if they are this is a very dangerous man there are reports that he is also very angry he has proven he doesn't care what he does he is killing children and civilians 

All any of us can do is live our life be kind to people be happy 😊 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Lisa, the cancer reports you talk about are what you read in the daily express so i don't think anymore needs to be said on that.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Putin certainly doesn't look like anyone with terminal bowel cancer having seen my Mum go through this. These so called 'reports' are  likely inaccurate, & sensationalist. Oh, he also has Parkinson's disease too.
    Yes, if it's just a members personal experience, then they should always say so. However, if it's some info they've looked into, & found reputable sources, that is so then reliable. I have never knowingly 'alleged' anything, & always back it up with fact. I have never been 'guilty'' of doing so, nor has anyone else that I know here.
  • woodbine
    I think members are genuinely getting fed up of people being told to back up everything they say with "links" or "evidence:, sometimes on some threads our opinions are just as valid as are personal experiences. For all any of us know Putin maybe dying, he may have cancer etc etc, what we can say for certain is that the Pratt is unhinged, he is also a war criminal and that's not my opinion but the opinion of every media outlet in the UK.

From now on I refuse to back up any opinions I have about Putin and his war in the Ukraine or his war crimes I will say what I like and if scope doesn't like that and they want to come across as Putin supporters then so be it they can remove me, there are plenty of forums where I can express an opinion without the threat of censorship.

• AndrewHall
    I wonder how reliable the links would be in the context of the matter.  Journalists and media, just like everyone else write what they think and no one should be obliged to wholly rely on them or be required to 'post a link' to them.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.