Supermarkets and mask — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Supermarkets and mask

Options
woodbine
woodbine Community member Posts: 11,652 Disability Gamechanger
edited January 2022 in Coffee lounge
Tesco and Sainburys have both today said that they will ask customers to wear mask even though the rules say you no longer have to.
So will you be wearing mask? or will you like me be glad to see the back of them?
2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Comments

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,442 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm still waring mine, I don't think  we have seen the back of it all yet. I went fish shop last week and I was only 1 waring a mask, they kinda shifted uncomfortable because they didn't have one on 😅. 

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I don't like wearing a mask but think I will continue if in shops not that it happens much nowadays do everything online 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    janer1967 said:
    I don't like wearing a mask but think I will continue if in shops not that it happens much nowadays do everything online 
    Must admit it's months since we did a supermarket shop as we have it all delivered now, so much easier and paying £7.99 a month for deliveries is so much cheaper than a taxi there and back.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Sandy_123
    edited January 2022
    Options
    That's what makes me shop on line  the delivery cost out ways the bus and taxi fare not to mention the hassle
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,189 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm exempt but even if i wasn't it would be gone. My elder daughter didn't wear hers today either. I seen quite a few buses drive past which i was sat in the car waiting for my daughter and half of them weren't wearing them.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,648 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I will still be wearing mine to start with, and will see what others do. Last time they made it optional most people around where I live continued to wear theirs.

I could be exempt if I wanted to be but still wear one out of respect for others as it doesn't cause me any major harm or discomfort. I don't like to just exercise my exemption rights for the sake of it, I think there has to be a good reason.

To be honest I did feel a bit of a fool wearing one last time they made it optional as when I see others not wearing one I feel like I'm doing my bit for them but they aren't returning the favour so why bother!
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi all to be fair i think i will still wear mine round crowded places, although i dont like wearing it.
    Nothing to do with protecting others, I found it stopped me panicking at the start of the pandemic when i went into shops and i have not had a cold now for a good two years and i'm liking that.
  • nannymaroon
    nannymaroon Community member Posts: 562 Pioneering
    Options
    I'll still wear my mask. Regardless of store policy. I still think its safer than not wearing one. IMHO.☺
    It's easier to be nice🙂
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I’ll still wear a mask, my wife thinks it makes me look more interesting and highlights my animated eyebrows. Ha, maybe so but it makes me mumble even more than usual.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2022
    Options
    1. A James Carr song ( I will have to listen to him as I like Otis Redding)
    2. No idea. ? anything to do with Norway, just that popped into my head
    3. A Salena Godden poem
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hmmm did look for Welsh flags, & football, but didn't get there! The colours are of the Norwegian flag in my defence. I will definitely try James Carr, so thank you for the challenge. :)
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I will always were a mask I think wales we still have to havent checked the changes today 
  • Sandy_123
    Options
    I wore mine today, was a few still waring them but not many.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I love the final mask of your three, Mike.

I think we are now in a very difficult situation for those who are immuno suppressed. Wearing a mask provides more protection to others from infection by the wearer than it does protection of the wearer from infection by others. As we move back to widespread absence of masks the immuno suppressed are therefore faced with limiting their activities or having to take a risk.

I dislike wearing a mask but will certainly continue for the timbering. Having said that I also dislike not being able to see peoples faces because facial expression plays such a big part when communicating.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    Options
    What a grand selection @Username_removed

Personally, I still like to wear mine in crowded/busy places. However, I do also respect other's views and opinions on the matter, as I know it can be quite a controversial topic.
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options
    I dont know if anyone can answer ymthis question in wales we are still duposed to wear masks in shops work and other places 

My brother wants to take my mum to  England from Wales for 5 days because she is covered by Wales will she still have to wear a mask in England my brother is one for not telling mum to wear a mask or use sabatier on her hands 

Mum hasn't had her booster yet because we changed drs when we moved in November  I have kept mum as safe I possibly could we did both get covid off the carers before Xmas 

My brother and his wife have had it twice and their children they aren't very careful though I am worried that mum will get corona virus and bring it back here all I seem to have is stress and worry at the moment 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2022
    Options
    My brother wants to take my mum to  England from Wales for 5 days because she is covered by Wales will she still have to wear a mask in England 
    The applicable rules are the ones in the place where you are at the time. While in England the English rules apply, while in Wales the Welsh rules apply. Place of origin is irrelevant.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options
    Thank you mum is scared of getting covid again so hoping she wears her mask 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.