Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Edging towards war?

Options
woodbine
woodbine Community member Posts: 12,103 Disability Gamechanger
edited February 2022 in Coffee lounge
As both UK and US govts. advise their nationals to get out of the Ukraine a.s.a.p, are we on the verge of war in Eastern Europe?

Will Putin invade? What do you think we should do if he does?

2024 Election won

Comments

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 55,624 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi woodbine I hope not. I havnt kept on top of this story in the media, so I don't know where we are with it
  • woodbine
    Options
    Sandy_123 said:
    Hi woodbine I hope not. I havnt kept on top of this story in the media, so I don't know where we are with it
    It's not looking good, but you never know with Putin, could go either way.

2024 Election won

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 55,624 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'll have to read up on it, I'm not a fan of putin, all I know is that boris has been backwards and forwards talking to people. I havnt really looked in detail on that too. Been too busy following zouma and the cat lol
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    They said that putin  is going to attack in days he will if he has said it so what can we do the British have been told to get out of Ukraine will Britain get involved don't think so no one wants a world war if putin attacks Ukraine may god watch over the innocent because thats the only people who suffer 

My thoughts are with the innocent people of Ukraine and hope the British get out safely  

• woodbine
    edited February 2022
    Options
    A detailed and cogent explanation of exactly why Russia won’t go to war and that’s not what this is about.

https://adamtooze.substack.com/p/chartbook-68-putins-challenge-to

Even now they’ve barely enough troops to take Kiev and would find themselves embroiled in something they could never win which would go on for years. It’s certainly a battle for a border but not for Ukraine.
    The Russians marched into Afghan to fight an unwinable war in 1980, HUMIT and SIGNIT must be telling us and the Americans something as the advice now to all Brits Americans and Germans is to leave the Ukraine sooner rather than later before flights into the country have to stop.

Rarely if ever do we get this close to war without having some kind of war.
    The link appears to be opinion based on Russian currency reserves and it's ability to withstand sanctions from the west, what it doesn't know as non of us know is exactly what form and how severe those sanctions might be.
    Sanctions have failed miserably in the past to control Russia, even when they annexed the Crimea in 2014.

The next move is Putins and only him and his senior Generals know what and when that will be.

2024 Election won

• woodbine
    Options
    Twelve countries have now urged their nationals to leave the Ukraine by any means possible before it's too late, it seems like diplomatic efforts are not bearing much fruit tonight.

2024 Election won

• Lisatho11987777
    Options
    I hope it doesn't happen 
  • RoseyG
    RoseyG Community member Posts: 29 Connected
    Options
    I have family living in Ukraine and would argue that conflict has been happening since 2014. Thousands have died already and my family lost their home in Crimea.
    The rest of the world was very quick to ignore it and now call it a ‘skirmish’ and repeat the propaganda line that it was only annexed to ensure “proper conditions for the people of Crimea to be able to freely express their will”. 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options
    Hope that things calm down and thst putin does change his mind to attack I cant imagine the fear people must be feeling its so horrible 😢 
  • woodbine
    Options
    Our Defence Sec. Ben Wallace has said this evening that an invasion is imminent, a number of airline have already suspended flights to Ukraine and 12 countries have now advised their nationals to leave the Ukraine.
    These by the way for clarification are facts not opinions.

2024 Election won

• Lisatho11987777
    Options
    @woodbine my thoughts are with Ukraine  may god watch over the innocent people that don't deserve this and the children 
  • RoseyG
    RoseyG Community member Posts: 29 Connected
    Options
    Isn’t that post a type of straw man argument? Focussing on an irrelevant or unimportant detail, selecting to address only the weakest part of the argument instead of addressing the key points,
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Whilst we have never once been in a position to truly understand the fear and the uncertainty that the British and its allies felt during WW1 and WW2. 
    I’m sure fear and uncertainty was not restricted to one side only.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options
    What ever any one says none of us know what's going to happen only what people think or what tv and radio and pappers say 
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Rocket man, 🤣
    quite a joke...until it’s not!

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Lisa82
    Lisa82 Scope Member Posts: 202 Pioneering
    Options
    I hope nothing does happen. I feel sorry for those in Ukraine caught up in this 💔. I personally feel like stocking up in case ever a war broke out in the UK; it's useful to have a supply 
  • woodbine
    edited February 2022
    Options
    from the BBC:

1. Russia's President Vladimir Putin recognises breakaway regions of Ukraine controlled by Russian-backed separatists
    2. Under decrees signed by Putin, Russian troops will perform "peacekeeping functions" in the rebel areas
    3. In a televised speech, Putin said Ukraine had no history of being a true nation

The UK USA and EU are agreeing on what will be seen as "crippling" sanctions against Russia, exactly what those sanctions will be will become clearer tomorrow.

Some more detail:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-60472639

2024 Election won

• Lisatho11987777
    Options
    Putin is clever he is edging his way in using peace as an excuse now Russian troops moveing in under peace he is going in under their nose 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.