Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Storm Eunice: stay safe

Options
woodbine
woodbine Community member Posts: 12,093 Disability Gamechanger
Storm Eunice arriving tomorrow has in the south west and south Wales been upgraded from an amber to a red warning, with amber warnings in other areas, please be aware of the possible dangers and do everything you can to stay safe.

Power cuts are highly likely in some areas so keep your phones and laptops etc fully charged, and if you have a torch make sure it's working and you know where it is.

Listen in to local radio stations for updates during tomorrow.

2024 Election won

Comments

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Options
    Doesn’t sound great does it? I hope we all stay safe. 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yep, stay safe all. 

So many storms these days.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I hate the wind and scares me last night was bad enough 

Fingers crossed it doesn't cause too much damage 

Keep safe and follow tips from @woodbine
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Keep safe everyone.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• MarkM88
    Options
    Thought I’d share this - taken from BBC. 

There are some simple things people can do to prepare before the storm hits.

• Make sure to charge all laptops and mobile phones to 100% before tonight
    • Check torches have batteries
    • Move cars away from trees and park in garage if possible
    • Secure garden furniture and move away from buildings
    • Firmly close doors and windows
    • Close and secure loft trapdoors with bolts
    • If chimney stacks are tall and in poor condition, make sure any beds are kept away from the areas directly beneath them
  • woodbine
    Options
    @MarkM88 excellent advice

2024 Election won

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Where I am we are looking at phones being down and masts being down power cuts its picking up here there are trees every where here my nerves have gone already I am sea facing 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,982 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello all, 

Thanks for this great thread. It is always great to see the Scope community come together, especially in times of difficulty to support each other. I am just wondering, how are you all doing so far today? I hope you are all well!  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    So far so good. 🤔

Scary stuff actually.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• woodbine
    Options
    Where I am we are looking at phones being down and masts being down power cuts its picking up here there are trees every where here my nerves have gone already I am sea facing 
    Stay safe Lisa.

2024 Election won

• woodbine
    Options
    leeCal said:
    So far so good. 🤔

Scary stuff actually.
    @leecal same here so far so good

2024 Election won

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,508 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I hope everyone is managing to stay safe today :) It's not too bad where I am, thankfully, but I know that a lot of people have been facing damage and disruption. 

National Campaigns Officer at Scope, she/her

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The wind is picking up quite a lot here in Doncaster in last hour still bright sunshine and rain 
  • vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,494 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
                 Not a lot to report in the north west, it's raining as it normally does in this part of the UK and only a bit of wind. It's not whistling down my chimney yet so it isn't that bad.  My heart goes out to the family of the man that has lost his life. 
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 55,531 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I've got 1 fence panel down but that was on its last legs and it belongs to next door, my bins are on the floor but been emptied today so light at moment. 
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Very stormy here in the midlands - i can cope with it a bit better in the day then i do in the night, hope your all okay - local news saying we should be okay here by 8pm so fingers crossed.

I know it's not nice for you @lisathomas50 but can you see the sea ?
  • MarkM88
    Options
    Wind is picking up here and it’s absolutely freezing. Had rain too. 
  • woodbine
    Options
    Saw some film earlier of the O2 arena losing part of its roof, hope they're insured, so far some injuries around the country and one death in Eire.

2024 Election won

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    We have been hit hard in Swansea roofs off next doors trampoline took flight we have had to move our cars as the wind  moved our cars at least 4 inches to the left had to park on foot path against the wall we had realy high winds as we are sea facing a motorbike blew up in the air in our street the marina took a bashing and sea front I could see the waves from my house glad I am higher up 
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    wow @lisathomas50 i thought you'd get it bad but wow - i know it might not be nice for you at the moment but i love seeing a good winter sea, of course only from a safe position
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.