If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

My parents look after me, but are both on pension. Can they claim carers allowance/element for me?

Options
bobby123
bobby123 Community member Posts: 238 Pioneering
I currently am on lcwra and pip standard care my parents look after me but are both on pension can they claim carers allowance or carers element for me

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,561 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Hello and welcome @bobby123 and thanks for your query this evening.

Can I ask when you say 'PIP standard care' do you mean daily living or mobility?

If your parents are over State Pension age, they will only get Carer's Allowance if their State Pension is less than the weekly rate of Carer's Allowance.

It can still be worth applying. Being entitled to Carer's Allowance can lead to premiums being added to other benefits such as Pension Credit.

Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • bobby123
    Options
    Daily living they both get full state pension
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,180 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Carers element is part of Universal Credit so they can't claim this if they are both state pension age.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Sue_Alumni
    Sue_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 485 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @bobby123,

To be eligible for Carer's Allowance the person giving care must be providing not less than 35 hour a week care and not earning more than £132.00 pw .  They must be providing care to someone who is in receipt of a "qualifying benefit".  Your PIP daily living component satisfies the requirement for a qualifying benefit.  

If they are both on a full state pension the income from any Carer's Allowance will be set off from their state pension so they will be no better off.

From what you say it seems unlikely they are getting Pension Credit and in itself a  Carer's Addition will be insufficient to to take them over the threshold. 

Online Community Adviser

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sue_Scope said:
    If they are both on a full state pension the income from any Carer's Allowance will be set off from their state pension so they will be no better off.
    The CA is not set off, it simply isn't paid because of 'overlapping benefit' rules.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • bobby123
    Options
    My brother now looks after me from 6am to 8 am mornings and 6 till 10 evenings Mon to Friday and 5 hours on Saturday and Sunday.  He works 9-5 Mon to Friday does he qualify for carers allowance I receive standard daily living pip
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,180 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    bobby123 said:
    He works 9-5 Mon to Friday does he qualify for carers allowance I receive standard daily living pip

That's full time hours so his earnings would be over the maximum amount to be able to claim carers allowance. You can't earn anymore than £132 per week. https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance/eligibility
    Therefore he's unable to claim carers allowance.
    If he claims Universal Credit then he can claim the carers element of that.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.