Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Credit where it's due

Options
woodbine
woodbine Community member Posts: 12,109 Disability Gamechanger
Now we have had time to digest the cost of living help proposed yesterday by the chancellor, I have to say that whilst I am not a Tory I have to give credit where credits due. He has given some help to all, but more help to those who most need it, and non of his actions will further fuel inflation or the national debt (to a great degree).
I read an article written by John McDonell who would have been chancellor under a Corbyn govt. and his "ideas" were pie in the sky.

We can only hope now that inflation will peak this year and start to fall next year. We can only hope that interest rates don't have to rise to much, bringing with them a recession and higher unemployment. But all that is for another day, another week and another month.

2024 Election won

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I agree in principle but when you look at uc for example when they had the uplift this was worth approx 1k this was then taken away and I get it was to help with covid 

Now the uplift was taken away and the support of ,,£650 to be given this still makes those on uc worse off than they were during the pandemic and now the cost of living increase on top .

I know there is the other support as well which will just about make it on par with the uplift

Though any support is welcome don't get me wrong and pleased that all means tested benefits are eligible this time and extra for disabled 

It is more than I certainly anticipated 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2022
    Options
    woodbine said:
    I read an article written by John McDonell who would have been chancellor under a Corbyn govt. and his "ideas" were pie in the sky.
    Would be helpful if you provided a link so that others could form their own opinion about that.

One aspect of the new proposals which I do find irritating is that they shown that support can be delivered through DWP which means that making the local authorities responsible for delivering the earlier £150 was an unnecessary administrative burden on local authorities.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • woodbine
    Options
    It was something he wrote on his own facebook page, it's out there for all of those who want to read it to find, I'm not a massive fan of providing links, however some of what he did say

Despite all the hype, Sunak’s package won’t be enough to meet people’s needs & I predict we’ll be back here again. He should have announced immediate inflation proofing of benefits, pensions & wages, restore £20 UC cut, & bring in energy, rent and basic food price controls.

2024 Election won

• calcotti
    edited May 2022
    Options
    woodbine said:.He should have announced immediate inflation proofing of benefits, pensions & wages, restore £20 UC cut, 
    On that, although it is a sort of dog ate homework excuse, I am inclined to believe Sunak when he says that the legacy DWP systems can't cope with a general uplift. Making additional one off payments may well be simpler to do and we certainly wouldn't want a repeat of uplifts for UC claimants only.

(For the avoidance of doubt for others
    I think the second paragraph of woodbine's previous post is quoting John McDonnell rather than expressing woodbine's opinion.)
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • woodbine
    Options
    I belong to a group on facebook where a number of members won't be getting the £400 energy grants, it's caused uproar 

2024 Election won

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I know an eighty year old pensioner who will get the extra winter fuel payment of £300 plus the three hundred he already gets and the £400 discount, so not bad considering he can’t get pension credit. He does have his heating on most of the year though to be honest. 

I think overall the package was good and far more generous than I’d expected. 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• calcotti
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Interesting analysis here
    https://www.resolutionfoundation.org/publications/back-on-target/
    and
    https://ifs.org.uk/publications/16066

Interesting to note too warnings that the increase in means tested benefits next April will exclude many unless the benefit cap is raised (it hasn’t changed since 2016).
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @calcotti Do you know why the state pension is classed as a benefit when actually you need to pay in to the system for so many years in order to get it? Probably a silly question but I thought I’d ask.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• calcotti
    Options
    The same could be asked of contribution based ESA and JSA. (I don’t have an answer.)
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.