Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Still not smoking.

Options
woodbine
woodbine Community member Posts: 12,103 Disability Gamechanger
It's now around a year since I stopped smoking, ok I'm vaping but not smoking. Do I feel better for it ? yes and no, my breathing is less laboured, I have sadly put a stone on in weight but I'm on a diet now.

But having been a smoker for over 50 years I'm dead chuffed with myself, and also with sm who gave up a few months before me.

My advice to anyone who smokes would be give up, use any method you find works but do try and give up, and to any young people who don't smoke please please please never start it's a tough addiction to break.

2024 Election won

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,508 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Well done @woodbine :) That's a great achievement!

National Campaigns Officer at Scope, she/her

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 14,983 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm interested that you have put weight on because that is something that happened to me when I stopped heavy drinking. I think I felt that I needed something else to enjoy in the evenings and that thing was food. Was that the case with smoking as well?
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    That makes sense @Marc86 thanks :)
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 55,624 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Well done how you getting on with the vape
  • woodbine
    Options
    @Sandy_123 the vape has been a massive help in keeping me off the cigs.

@66Mustang I just seem to have been eating more, but I've put myself on a diet now as my blood-sugar went up when I had my diabetes check last month.

2024 Election won

• Sandy_123
    Options
    A freind of mine started vaping after years of smoking,  saves her loads of money,  she starting on 24 strength nicoteen, now on 6. I must admit I love the smells off it when she vapes.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,031 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Well done. It’s been over 2 years since I quit smoking and I smoked for over 30 years. I use a vape too and now only use 3mg juice. 
    I must admit I’m one of those that can’t even stand the smell of cigarettes now. It makes me feel quite sick. I know I’d never ever smoke again. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    What does a vape smell like @Sandy_123? Doesn’t it smell like a cigarette?

i gave up smoking about six years ago now, I think 🤔 long time anyway. I still miss it sometimes but then I remind myself that I was so addicted to them I couldn’t just have the one and I’d soon be back on thirty a day. Far too expensive let alone unhealthy. I have put on several stone though I must admit.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,031 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    leeCal said:
    What does a vape smell like @Sandy_123? Doesn’t it smell like a cigarette?

No, absolutely not. It depends what flavour vape juice you're using. Personally i like the fruity flavours and mixed berries is my favourite so this is exactly what it smells like. There's pudding flavours too so these would smell more sweet than the fruity ones.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Well done @woodbine :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I don't smoke but have tried it in the past. Nowadays I see these 'Elf' bars everywhere and I am getting sick of them. Young children starting to smoke them even, I was shopping in Tesco the other week and I seen a group of youths that looked around the ages of 11-13 stood in a gang inside the store vaping on them. I've also heard a lot of local secondary schools are having real trouble with children going in to the toilet rooms on breaks/dinners and afterwards teachers are going in to big clouds of smoke and apparently they're that addicted to them now that behavior is getting worse.

I have no problem with an adult smoking them of course, as I have no problem with them smoking real tobacco as well but if you allow your child to smoke a vape I think you're disgusting. When I was younger, if I came home with one of them in my mouth I'd of been beaten round the house. Glad I'm not part of this generation.
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Well done @woodbine i stopped and started vaping last year, still on the vape tho, funny wonder if my weight is also due to stopping smoking i thought it was because i've become more inactive, i know my metabolism changed.
    Not hundred percent sure @bg844 but i am sure that there is an age limit for smoking vapes, i understand that with some youth it has become a fashion statement more so with the cloud type, but hopefully vaping will be a better thing for the youth to go on to if they are going to smoke.
  • Sandy_123
    edited May 2022
    Options
    @leecal I think she smokes bubblegum it certainly smells like it lol. The vape have different flavours, I usually get a face full of it walking out and about lol. 
     @bg844 the kids by me smoke weed, stinks

• woodbine
    Options
    It has to be said that vapes shouldn't be sold to under 18's as shouldn't cigs, but they will find a way round it as they always have.
    But the number of people vaping had grown to over 2 million now, I understand it's 95% better for you v smoking.

2024 Election won

• Lou67
    Lou67 Community member Posts: 8,384 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Well done @woodbine

I remember when you stopped it’s been a quick year.

I stopped nearly 5 years ago now, but I was in hospital very ill with sepsis for over 6 weeks, so would’ve been crazy to start again when I left.

Again a big well done !!!
  • SueHeath
    Options
    Yep it's deff better for us then smoking the real thing @woodbine if the whole country went on vape i wonder what would happen about the tax the gov get.
    @Sandy_123 i agree what a horrible smell you smell it every were now xx
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    I actually don’t mind the smell of “weed” but would never consider smoking it or taking any other drugs myself!
  • SueHeath
    Options
    Good i wish i hadn't started smoking @66Mustang we all can make mistakes it's learning/correcting them that counts - still don't like the smell of weed - next time you see a marigold flower growing in the garden break a leaf or crush it and tell me what you think it smells like. xxx
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    SueHeath said:
    Good i wish i hadn't started smoking @66Mustang we all can make mistakes it's learning/correcting them that counts - still don't like the smell of weed - next time you see a marigold flower growing in the garden break a leaf or crush it and tell me what you think it smells like. xxx
    Yes I agree about correcting :)

I will give it a try and report back!!
  • Grinchy
    Grinchy Community member Posts: 1,931 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    good for you @woodbine, i'm glad you managed to quit, i tried smoking once as a kid, made me sick, so put me off i'm glad to say
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.