What do you think about it — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What do you think about it

Options
Biblioklept
Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
edited June 2022 in Coffee lounge
Has anyone seen the news about how they will refuse student loans for those that fail either maths or English GCSE, preventing anyone that can't self fund university from going? Even if they resit and pass they will still be refused student loan and have to self fund.

I think it's appalling and surely disproportionately affects disabled people and low income families. 

Yet another thing the government slipped through the back door while no one was looking. 

Comments

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Depends on how many times they have failed I do open University so it's different for us we get a grant every 12 months but you have to pass your first part of your course to be able to apply for funding to do the second part and so on depending how many years your course is for 
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Options
    @Biblioklept what site is this on please? 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options
    @MarkM88 it's been on the news alot lately don't think it's been put in place yet 
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,612 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Not seen this anywhere but I think I agree with you. Just because someone is bad at English or maths doesn’t mean they are unworthy of studying what they are great at, surely? I believe there are some of the best entrepreneurs and creative minds who failed the basic subjects at school.

I can see it from the other side. Lots of people go to university, studying subjects that aren’t likely to come in useful, purely for the partying and social life. I’d take a gamble by saying that those who fail maths/English are more likely to do that.

Just saying that for balance though, I think I’m with you all things considered.

I tend to agree that it would affect the disabled. I failed English first time because I had to leave the exam due to my mental health, I was predicted to get an “A” grade.
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    MarkM88 said:
    @Biblioklept what site is this on please? 
    Most of them. It's been subtly covered in news since feb and most places BBC, Telegraph, Times, Guardian have covered it. 
    For some more official info on the proposals 

• Biblioklept
    Options
    66Mustang said:

I can see it from the other side. Lots of people go to university, studying subjects that aren’t likely to come in useful, purely for the partying and social life. I’d take a gamble by saying that those who fail maths/English are more likely to do that.

Yep that is true and I do to an extent understand their reasons but mostly it just seems like a way to keep the working class down. A rich non-academic can still go to uni and buy their way in but access is denied for working class. 

66Mustang said:

I tend to agree that it would affect the disabled. I failed English first time because I had to leave the exam due to my mental health, I was predicted to get an “A” grade.
    Haha me too. I had undiagnosed ADHD and autism and struggled at school I did quite well all things considered but I didn't do any coursework for English and despite predicted "A" I failed. I took it again a few years later and got an A* but this ruling would mean that I wouldn't have been able to attend university as I failed English the first time. 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options
    I know someone who has been going to uni getting grants and student accommodation  for last ten years and that's why some people study my niece gets 14,000.00 every term for studying and her accommodation she is in her third year and she gets other grants and they only have to pay it back if they get a job that is over a certain amount a year  ny niece failed her maths and English 3 times but eventually  passed who wouldn't want to study  
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,052 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
     my niece gets 14,000.00 every term for studying and her accommodation

Are you sure about that, that seems rather excessive. The maximum student maintenance loan per year for 2021/22 is up to £9,488 for outside London, if living way from home. Living away from home in London is up to £12,382.
    For the tution fees it's a maximum of £9,250 a year for normal courses. If you’re doing an accelerated course, then the maximum is £11,000 a year.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options
    Yes she does thats for her studying her accommodation  and her books and whatever she needs her accommodation is 1200.00 a month and she gets other grants 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options
    3 times a year just asked her 
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    I know someone who has been going to uni getting grants and student accommodation  for last ten years and that's why some people study my niece gets 14,000.00 every term for studying and her accommodation she is in her third year and she gets other grants and they only have to pay it back if they get a job that is over a certain amount a year  ny niece failed her maths and English 3 times but eventually  passed who wouldn't want to study  
    £14k every 3-4 months??  
  • Biblioklept
    edited June 2022
    Options
    I think from that link it can be higher if she has kids or disabilities and some people get childcare grants and stuff too and some countries have extra grants but £14,000 does seem very very high per term.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,073 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I have heard about it in the news, my daughter has been paying her loan off since she left uni. She's 32 and still paying it. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hello @lisathomas50.
    I know things have probably changed a lot since I was a student, but as far as I recall they didn't consider my actual rent costs when calculating my student loan. The amount you've said your niece receives seems quite high. I wouldn't want anyone to be concerned thinking that they're not receiving what they should, or for someone to expect that they could also receive that amount as a student. 
    I was wondering if you know anymore about her student loan or how it's made up to £14,000 a term? 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • poppy123456
    Options
    @lisathomas50 just coming back to this because you didn't answer Adrians question. I'm concerned about the amount of student loan you said your niece received. If others see this they are going to question why they don't receive this.
    Two of my children went to Uni, whilst my son lived in Wales he did receive slightly more than my daughter did in England, it was far from the amount you stated here.
    The reason why most students need to work in the first place is because their student loan doesn't cover everything they need.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options
    @Adrian_Scope she is in the new student village snd they have have to pay 1200.00 a month for the accommodation her course is 14 thousand a year and she gets other grants and loans through the  university its 3 times a year she receives this amount and travel allowance she hasn't said about all the details I have to go down to her student village to help her do all the payments she has to make so that she doesn't get in a mess 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options
    All students can claim for their accommodation  I am an open University student and get grants and loans for my living accommodation and my course and equipment needed such as laptop desk chair speaking mode laptop tray speakers etc travel expenses when haveing to attend a face to face and a disability grant 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options
  • poppy123456
    edited June 2022
    Options
    The accommodation is included in the student maintenance loan, it’s not paid separately. You don’t receive extra for this. £14,000 is a huge amount of money and I still can’t see how she receives this amount. 
    Lisa, I thought you were claiming help for your rent through your UC claim? If you’re receiving a maintenance loan are UC aware of this because it affects the amount of UC you’re entitled to.
    Im also curious what course this is because £14,000 a year for a course is way outside the usual cost of around £9,000. 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,629 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I suspect that I might agree that anyone who can't pass maths or English GCSE really shouldn't be going anywhere near a uni.

Not sure about the £14,000 per term my Daughter was at uni not that long ago and didn't get anywhere near that for the year and she had child care cost.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

This discussion has been closed.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.