Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Esa Income and contributions based

Options
Shellyj13
Shellyj13 Community member Posts: 69 Listener
Hi everyone,Some of you might remember that I some months ago now I applied to the Dwp for the Income based part of Esa to be added to my award.Also to be back dated as I've been on Esa for over 12 years.Well I'm very happy to say that I recieved all the back dated money and am in shock.I just wanted to say that it has been extremely stressful only because of the anxiety of waiting months when you are given a time estimate.So if anyone else is thinking of doing the same,just ignore the estimated time frame that they will process/review your claim.I am a bit confused though now as to whether this means I get full housing benefit because I get the income related part?.If any one has the answer to this please let me know.Thanks

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Shellyj13 said:
    I am a bit confused though now as to whether this means I get full housing benefit because I get the income related part?.
    As discussed in your previous thread you will be entitled to the maximum housing benefit if you are claiming it. However as also discussed in that earlier thread I would expect, based on the circumstances you set out, that you would already be getting maximum housing benefit anyway. Whether or not this covers all of your rent will depend on your circumstances.

If you are in social housing and have a spare room housing benefit will not cover all of the rent. If you rent privately your maximum housing benefit is capped by the Local Housing Allowance and may be less than your rent.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Shellyj13
    Options
    Hi,no I'm not getting full housing benefit because I didn't have the income based element and maybe because I'm under occupying my home?.
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Options
    It could be helpful to share how much your rent is per week and how much housing benefit you get per week. Plus, do you rent through social housing or private? 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,063 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If you’re renting from social housing and you have 1 spare bedroom your housing benefit will be reduced by 14%. For 2 or more bedrooms it’s 25%. 
    All you can do is report the changes to your local Authority when they open on Monday.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Morning @Shellyj13 great to hear good news thanks for sharing.
  • Shellyj13
    Options
    Thanks Sue.I hope more people realise that they are entitled ( if they are) and can get the money they are owed.
  • calcotti
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Shellyj13 said:
    Hi,no I'm not getting full housing benefit because I didn't have the income based element and maybe because I'm under occupying my home?.
    As already mentioned, if your only income taken into account was the contribution based ESA I would expect you to have been getting the maximum available housing benefit anyway. However now that you have income based ESA they will review that.

As mentioned in my previous post
    calcotti said:
    If you are in social housing and have a spare room housing benefit will not cover all of the rent. If you rent privately your maximum housing benefit is capped by the Local Housing Allowance and may be less than your rent.
    If in social housing the HB reductions for spare rooms are as set out by poppy.
    If you’re renting from social housing and you have 1 spare bedroom your housing benefit will be reduced by 14%. For 2 or more bedrooms it’s 25%. 
    The LHA for your post code can be found here 
    https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/Search.aspx
    Because there is you and your son the two bedroom rate would apply.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Shellyj13
    Options
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You will also now be entitled to free NHS treatment such as prescriptions/dental and eye tests, if you weren't previously entitled.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Shellyj13
    Options
    I was before but thank you for the information 
  • Shellyj13
    Options
    I hope so,the worst part as I said was the incredibly long and stressful wait and thinkingbI was going to be reassessed.It literally made me so ill.So as Poppy said THE DWP shouldn't give estimated times of 6 weeks as in reality it's months.But I hope it helps 
  • headshake
    headshake Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    hi everyone.my anxiety as usual is going crazy.without calling how do i find out if im on income related or contributions..thanks
  • poppy123456
    Options
    headshake said:
    hi everyone.my anxiety as usual is going crazy.without calling how do i find out if im on income related or contributions..thanks

If you're in the Support Group and your weekly amount is more than £117.60 then it could be a mixture of both Contributions based and Income Related. If it's not more than this it will be Contributions based/New style ESA.
    You could have a look at a recent letter from ESA but they are extremely difficult to understand. You may have no option but to ring and ask.
  • headshake
    Options
    hi thanks for reply.i get £270.70 every 2weeks.last letter was in january saying im in lcwra but no mention of new style esa...baffeld lol
  • poppy123456
    Options
    headshake said:
    hi thanks for reply.i get £270.70 every 2weeks.last letter was in january saying im in lcwra but no mention of new style esa...baffeld lol
    At least part of it is income Related. New Style ESA is a contributions based only claim so it’s not this. 
    The only way to know for sure is by ringing them.
  • headshake
    Options
  • robdx
    robdx Community member Posts: 61 Courageous
    Options
    @Shellyj13 Sorry to dig up an old thread but i'm about to send off the ESA3 form as I have never had the income related component...i'm on contribution ESA support group no other income and live alone, so i'm about to go through the same as you. It would appear I should have recieved the income related top up from the start of the claim in Jan 2016, do you have any tips or advice on filling out the form, extra info to send ect
    Did they back date it all the way to the start of your claim? anything you can tell me about the process would be great 
  • calcotti
    Options
    robdx said:..do you have any tips or advice on filling out the form, extra info to send ect
    Did they back date it all the way to the start of your claim? anything you can tell me about the process would be great 
    The ESA3 is a factual form. If you have had fluctuating savings or fluctuating income then you might want to send copies of statements (if you have them). If on the other hand you have no savings (or minimal) and have had no other income there will little to tell them. Similarly if you have had a partner for some of the time or have had other people living with you then you will want to detail that but if you’ve been alone throughout there will be little to provide. There is a space for other information at the end of the form if you want to say anything else or simply give a basic summary.

If they decide you should have had income based top up then they should pay you full arrears.
  • Shellyj13
    Options
    Hi sorry for late reply.it takes ages to load this page for some reason.Anyway my advice would be to fill the form in as clearly as you can.Check that you havnt missed out anything.Its pretty simple and just asking for basic information.But just be prepared to wait for months to hear back and try not to get stressed out ( like I did).I did get it back dated from the very start of my claim which was a huge shock and joy after years of struggling.I wish you well and just stay positive x
  • robdx
    robdx Community member Posts: 61 Courageous
    Options
    Shellyj13 said:
    Hi sorry for late reply.it takes ages to load this page for some reason.Anyway my advice would be to fill the form in as clearly as you can.Check that you havnt missed out anything.Its pretty simple and just asking for basic information.But just be prepared to wait for months to hear back and try not to get stressed out ( like I did).I did get it back dated from the very start of my claim which was a huge shock and joy after years of struggling.I wish you well and just stay positive x
    Thank you, just knowing that someone else has been successful helps, though DWP have told me on the phone that I won't get it as I never migrated from incapacity benefits so I suspect they will knock me back
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.