Who taught you to cook or who cooks in your house? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Who taught you to cook or who cooks in your house?

Options
Biblioklept
Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
All the posts about cooking and meals make me very jealous as I've never been able to cook. I don't get how people learn? Has anyone taken classes?

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,577 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2022
    Options
    I wasn’t cooking at all a year ago but I have more recently been learning from family members.

I may be corrected but the impression I get is that a lot of it comes from practise and not being afraid to get it wrong and having to throw it away as most times you will get it right anyway.

I’ve mostly learnt to make specific dishes - I think next I’d really like to learn stuff like how to cook vegetables and just a piece of meat - nothing special just how to do it - how to know when they are done, etc - as I see these as simple life skills.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I used to watch my mum cook but I learned by trial and error. Having said that I rarely cook and what I can cook is very limited.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 49,826 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2022
    Options
    I come from a family of good cooks, I've always cooked from scratch 90% of the time. I was also shown how to cook Indian food by a elderly Asian woman. We would cook in her kitchen 30 odd years ago. I learnt a lot from her and I've never  tasted food better then hers ever,  I can cook Chinese, Mexican, English, Italian, Indian, Greek and lots besides. 
    I also follow recipes on utube, some good recipes on there and step by step @66Mustang
    I'm no good with cakes, yet I can bake pies, breads etc
    I love cooking. I want to make my own butter too
    I've taught my children, now grown up how to cook, my son did a chicken curry earlier with my guidance. He was well chuffed.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My mum taught me always cooked from scratch and still does I also did o level cooking at school 

My love for baking came when I was pregnant and pretty much self taught 

I like cooking but its getting harder with my failing eyesight need help measuring , chopping , hot surfaces and seeing if something is cooked 

But not a waste as toby is learning from my instruction 
  • emancherry33
    emancherry33 Community member Posts: 3,640 Pioneering
    Options
    My mum taught me how to cook and iron
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 49,826 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My mom never taught me to cook, even tho she cooked and baked even made fudge and toffee, she would bake on a Sunday for the week. She only cooked English food, there was no variety of different world foods. 
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Even if not taught directly by family that good examples of cooking an dbaking was set by family for everyone. No wonder I'm useless :D 

66Mustang said:

I’ve mostly learnt to make specific dishes - I think next I’d really like to learn stuff like how to cook vegetables and just a piece of meat - nothing special just how to do it - how to know when they are done, etc - as I see these as simple life skills.
    It would be good if everyone was taught that, as you say it's an important skill

• SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My Mom was a very good cook and from an early age i enjoyed cooking from scratch, so much so that i became a catering manager within the school meals industry. I helped train NVQ staff.
    With some people it is a gift with others they need help or inspiration, i find it does help if you enjoy eating.
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My mother used to be a Chef, I'm nothing like her cooking but I do take my time when I am to get my dishes spot on.
  • Steve_in_The_City
    Steve_in_The_City Scope Member Posts: 562 Pioneering
    Options
    I learned how to cook through necessity. I was broke (I could say potless!) and someone told me how to make "ifit pie", meaning if its got meat in it you were lucky. As I started to become interested in cooking I asked family and friends for advice. The advice given was well intended but invariably not the best. My mum's instructions in how to cook cabbage were a masterclass in how NOT to cook it. Then I discovered cookery books and learned from experts. My cooking skills improved enormously. My advice to anyone new to cooking is to buy Delia Smith's How to Cook, the omnibus edition. She provides very sound basics and clearly explains the techniques used by cooks. Good basic cooking skills are all you need to become an accomplished cook.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,577 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Steve_in_The_City sounds like what we call a “politician pie” i.e. full of hot air!
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,614 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I can cook but am unable to eat my own cooking, so sm cooks and I wash up.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Steve_in_The_City
    Steve_in_The_City Scope Member Posts: 562 Pioneering
    Options
    @66Mustang I had never heard of Politicians Pie. I Googled it and must say that the thought of throwing a pie at a politician appeals! I Googled ifit pie but drew a blank. I was told about it decades ago in Blackpool so may be some long forgotten wartime recipe.
  • iza
    iza Scope Member Posts: 703 Pioneering
    Options
     I am self taught person when it come to cooking. I truly started to cook and bake a lot when I stopped working professionally. During my last few years I mastered my cooking skills to quite high standards. There is no person who would not like my food.  How did I mastered my cooking recipes? I usually look for new dish to cook, than I watch 3 different videos on you tube. I make during the time some notes to the standard  recipe and from each video I am taking only thing which I know now will make the taste of dish better than I combine all and cook perfect dish. My son and his friends said that I cook better than anyone from they families. In my country we say: practice make a master. Practice, practice, practice. Thanks to home cooking you are also able to save a lots of money you would normally paid in the restaurants/coffee places. 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2022
    Options
    What a great thread, and thanks for the recommendation @Steve_in_The_City, I think I have another book by Delia Smith "one is fun" which I took to Uni.

My mum and sister gave me a notebook to keep useful tips and recipes in, but I must admit I'm rather rusty these days, as I'm out of practice. 

I find cooking some food can be a real drain on my energy as I can't stand for long, or lift heavy pans full of water, or chop up veggies, but with help and time, I did enjoy cooking when I did it most at Uni :) 
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Maureene
    Maureene Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    edited September 2022
    Options
    With so many cooking classes online, it's a pity to say I am not able to learn. Probably, cooking is an activity that doesn't inspire you. You should take the following as a life rule: "No matter what you are about to do, you should be attracted by it." If you can't stand cooking, just accept it. In case you still want to learn, I advise starting with a crustless pumpkin pie recipe composed of the most primitive ingredients. Don't be afraid to mess this recipe up a bit because the final result, anyway, will be the most delicious.
    Good luck, and I'm waiting for pie pics from you.

• Karen7788
    Karen7788 Scope Member Posts: 598 Pioneering
    Options
    I taught myself, my mum is hopeless at cooking. I did volunteering in primary school for years teaching children how to cook and bake, they loved it, I also taught my sons basic recipes. 
    I don’t cook and bake as much as I used to do due to my condition and being shattered when I get home, I’ll hopefully be able to do more once I retire.

• life
    life Community member Posts: 527 Pioneering
    Options
    @iza YouTube's a great place to find recipe's. I do a lot of my cooking watching YouTube vids 
  • ShirleyW
    ShirleyW Community member Posts: 355 Pioneering
    edited September 2022
    Options
    My Mum taught me basic cooking and my Granny taught me how to bake.

I also had proper cookery classes in school (60's and 70's).  

Once I was in my 20's and married I expanded on what I already knew by trying recipes in cookery books.  These days if there's anything I want to try cooking I just Google it. 

I would definitely recommend Delia Smith's How To Cook for anyone who doesn't know the basics.

• iza
    iza Scope Member Posts: 703 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @life, that is true. I learnt a bit of cooking skills from you tube too. I also follow few profiles on an Instagram for example profile @sovegan

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.