Physio's giving different advice? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Physio's giving different advice?

Biblioklept
Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,645 Disability Gamechanger
I hurt my neck earlier in the week and the pain has been getting worse and movement increasingly restricted. 
I spoke with a physio a few days ago who was lovely and gave me some stretches to do and said to keep moving like normal but avoid certain movements such as shrugging. 

Well I had a follow up appointment today and it was a different physio who said the complete opposite. That they don't recommend stretches and find activation better and gave me specific exercises to do including shrugs?! 

I'm not good at speaking up so I didn't say anything but now I don't know what to do or which advice to follow. I'd have thought they'd have the same recommendation not complete opposite :D 

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    As with any profession, there will be differences of opinion, based perhaps on what they personally may have found helpful in their patients. As I can't know exactly how you're affected, my personal opinion, as with all forms of exercise, is to do those movements that don't cause pain. Anything which increases pain, other than overcoming some slight stiffness, is counterproductive as it may increase the pain cycle.
    I don't think either physio is necessarily 'wrong,' so would suggest you try the exercises from either that you've found the most helpful, bearing in mind what I've said. I'd also suggest you do any such exercises a little & often, but within your comfort zone....don't push through the pain. There are some videos of simple exercises on the Chartered Society of Physiotherapy's website, which you may find helpful. Please see: https://www.csp.org.uk/conditions/neck-pain/video-exercises-neck-pain

• Biblioklept
    Thanks so much @chiarieds!! I understand now why they would suggest different things, both could probably be helpful and it's not a case of one being wrong or dangerous. I think that was my worry that one of the options could make things worse and I really couldn't handle it being any worse.

I've had a migraine all Thursday and Friday and it's only just eased off a bit now. It was so bad yesterday I couldn't even see! I think the nausea that comes with intense pain just makes it all so much worse too. I've barely eaten in days and just opening my mouth hurts my neck :( 

Thank you kindly for the link it's much appreciated <3 I can't do the first one as I can't move my head down forward at all but the others are like what I've been recommended and it's helpful to see a video of them being done.
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    sorry to hear you've not been good/well @Biblioklept i hope you feel better soon.
  • Biblioklept
    Thank you @SueHeath that's so kind of you to say <3
  • SueHeath
    That's okay @Biblioklept as it started to ease yet darling x
  • Biblioklept
    I have more movement today and less pain. Headache is still bad but my vision is better so that is good <3 Managed some breakfast too

How are you @SueHeath?
  • SueHeath
    I'm fine thanks for asking @Biblioklept x

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.