Favourite salads — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Favourite salads

Options
Biblioklept
Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
What do you have in your salads? I've never progressed passed lettuce, cucumber, tomato and pepper - spring onion too if I'm feeling fancy :D

I really want to try new salad ingredients and new combinations but I don't know where to start. 

What is your favourite of all salad and what goes in it? 

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,660 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I like all kinds of salads. Something I would recommend is that you can put raw mushrooms in salad, gives some protein without using meat or dairy. Also nuts, apples, cheese, meat, tuna etc. :smiley:
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,502 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2022
    Options
    I just use what I have in. Lettuce,  beetroot, coleslaw, tomatoe, with potato or tuna, egg,  or on as a side,  love beetroot. Plus cheese. Grated carrot
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I love grated carrot/sultanas/soaked for a few hours in orange juice.

Cress/water cress/ baby spinage or you can get the different salad bags - it's really what ever you fancy.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Olives go nicely in salad, especially stuffed with anchovies, that’s if I must eat a salad! Being a carnivore I don’t eat salad often at all.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Sandy_123
    Options
    Oh yeah cress definitely  sprinkled on 
  • leeCal
    Options
    If you like some colour in your salad you can use nasturtiums instead of cress, taste virtually the same. 🙂

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Radish , celery,  nuts , fruit eg grapes , melon   pineapple.  Feta cheese beetroot 

I usually have a bowl made up the just add stuff as I want to it like 0rawns , Mackrell , crab   ham , chicken tuna 

I like crispy onions on top or flavoured croutons 
  • Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    Options
    Moving away from lettuce & tomato, my favourite is a Thai green papaya and pomegranate salad

• Biblioklept
    edited June 2022
    Options
    66Mustang said:
    I like all kinds of salads. Something I would recommend is that you can put raw mushrooms in salad, gives some protein without using meat or dairy. Also nuts, apples, cheese, meat, tuna etc. :smiley:
    I didn't know you could eat mushrooms raw!!! I thought they had to be well cooked. I also never thought of apple, that's a weird combination to me, completely different food type. Do lots of people eat apple with salad?
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    Sandy_123 said:
    I just use what I have in. Lettuce,  beetroot, coleslaw, tomatoe, with potato or tuna, egg,  or on as a side,  love beetroot. Plus cheese. Grated carrot
    I forgot about grated carrot yummmm. I have only ever tried pickled beetroot like from a jar
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I agree @leeCal there are lots of things grown in the garden that we can eat from flowers and herbs x
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    leeCal said:
    If you like some colour in your salad you can use nasturtiums instead of cress, taste virtually the same. 🙂
    I hadn't even heard of those lol, do you eat the flower or the leaves? Or just the petals? 
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    So many recommendations for fruit with salad I never thought of it the combination sounds strange to me do you literally just mix it through your normal salad foods??
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    Cartini said:
    Moving away from lettuce & tomato, my favourite is a Thai green papaya and pomegranate salad

That may be beyond my capabilities I've never tried either thing. What does papaya taste like?
  • Cartini
    Options
    Cartini said:

That may be beyond my capabilities I've never tried either thing. What does papaya taste like?

I can`t describe the taste other than it`s very sublte and not too sweet
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    Sorry for more questions what is the texture like? Is it wet?
  • Cartini
    Options
    Sorry for more questions what is the texture like? Is it wet?
    It is a wet fruit, yes.  If you shred / grate a cucumber, the texture is similar to that
  • leeCal
    Options
    @Biblioklept You can eat the petals or the flower, they taste like cress.

― Dalai Lama XIV

• Sandy_123
    Options
    Pomegranate seeds are nice in salad too
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    I think I've tried those before so will add them to my shopping list. Is there any special way I need to prepare pomegranate seeds?

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.