Is anyone else in your family disabled? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Is anyone else in your family disabled?

Options
Biblioklept
Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
Just wondered how many of us also have disabled family members or conditions that are hereditary? 

Does it help you feel closer to them as they understand you more?

I wish growing up that I'd been surrounded with more people like me

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    No I'm the only disabled person in the family they do support me but don't really understand what it's like to live with a disability 
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,657 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Just me with diagnosed issues but we suspect that several elderly family members had OCD but it wasn’t diagnosed back then, it was just called being clean or particular. Same with social anxiety, it was just called being quiet.
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I agree. Years ago you’d get the sarcastic comment such as ‘what’s wrong with you again!’ and a chuckle. Glad it’s taken more seriously nowadays, although I do think far too many people play on MH to get out of situations but it is a tricky situation. 

A few in my family suffer with physical disabilities, like me. Almost all of us have some sort of back issue too, just one of those family things haha.
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    I'm the same that lots of my family probably have similar conditions but aren't diagnosed. Most the older generations don't believe in things like mental health and autism / ADHD etc. Lots of the younger generations like my siblings' children have been diagnosed now though. 
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,657 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I agree, it’s much better that valid mental health issues, which are just as serious and debilitating as physical ones, are taken seriously. I often wonder how I would cope if I lived even 70 years ago with people not understanding. e.g. national service. I wouldn’t trust myself with a gun knowing the nature of my obsessive/compulsive thoughts about losing control. However they’d have made me take one and it would end up putting all my fellow soldiers at risk!!!

That said I agree that some use mental health to get out of situations. I guess it’s another “card” that some have access to, a bit like playing the “race card” or “gender card” to get out of a situation. I try to think before there’s something I don’t want to do: “is it my issues making me not want to do this, or is it just something I don’t want to do?” If the latter I will force myself to do it. As an example, I can “get out” of driving on the motorway because I find it hard but if we need to go on small roads I will always offer to do the driving, even if I don’t want to.

It”a funny how you say about the older generation not believing in mental health as I experience this quite a bit though absolutely not malicious. One of my grandparents refused to believe I had autism as to them I was perfect and there was nothing “wrong” with me. That said I have also had plenty of older people who are perfectly understanding and accepting.
  • thara9643
    thara9643 Posts: 69 Connected
    Options
    No and I’m going to explain why. My cousin had denial (not a protected impairment as I checked). Whenever I talked to her she told me the most ridiculous lie. Her stupid mother was no better and no I don’t believe in denial as it seems to be a exempt disability. Contrary to popular belief disability is not always a good thing. And to sum up severe learning difficulties like denial and lying are not and should never be protected by any law. I’m not being hypocritical either. 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm not sure I quite understand what you mean @thara9643. Would you mind explaining a little more about what you mean? Is your cousin in denial about being disabled?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • thara9643
    thara9643 Posts: 69 Connected
    Options
    I'm not sure I quite understand what you mean @thara9643. Would you mind explaining a little more about what you mean? Is your cousin in denial about being disabled?
    Yh which is a shame
  • just4once
    just4once Scope Member Posts: 87 Courageous
    Options
    my uncle is and his two sons my dad in denial but we all know four of my children and me all under the asd umbrella though different varieties have been diagnosed over the years from pda to bi polar to Asperger’s some polar opposite’s some similar 

• rhi68
    rhi68 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    My daughter is disabled and one of her disabilities was passed down by me 17q12 microduplication the other was a de nova 
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,619 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Just me in my immediate family.  I grew up with two older relatives having physical disabilities, though it didn't really help them understand my issues which were largely mental until more recently (although physically debilitating).

I have an unconventional family tree, though it seems that mental health issues were common in both sides of my real family tree...but not spoken about.  It's only the last few years I've been made aware, and had to read between the lines in some cases!
  • Karen7788
    Karen7788 Scope Member Posts: 598 Pioneering
    Options
    Autoimmune diseases run in my family and also heart disease. 
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    Just me in my immediate family.  I grew up with two older relatives having physical disabilities, though it didn't really help them understand my issues which were largely mental until more recently (although physically debilitating).

I have an unconventional family tree, though it seems that mental health issues were common in both sides of my real family tree...but not spoken about.  It's only the last few years I've been made aware, and had to read between the lines in some cases!
    It's so hard when mental health issues are kept as such a taboo, it's the same in my family. I was diagnosed with ADHD and autism as an adult and I can see so many traits in family members too but the majority don't talk about these things and some don't believe they even exist as conditions. :( 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.