Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

War in Ukraine, toxic masculinity?

Options
Biblioklept
Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,948 Disability Gamechanger
Boris has blamed the war in Ukraine on toxic masculinity, would you agree? 

What he actually said was: 
"If Putin was a woman, which he obviously isn't, but if he were, I really don't think he would've embarked on a crazy, macho war of invasion and violence in the way that he has.
"If you want a perfect example of toxic masculinity, it's what he's doing in Ukraine."

Aside from Boris commenting on anyone's toxic masculinity being completely laughable, do you think he's right? 

Comments

• Viola
    Viola Community member Posts: 40 Courageous
    Options
    I do actually. Even a broken clock is right twice a day!
  • Karen7788
    Karen7788 Scope Member Posts: 598 Pioneering
    Options
    Sorry, but I just cannot bring myself to agree on anything that Boris has to say. 
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Where was it actually reported that he said that @Biblioklept?
    we usually give a link to any reports to authenticate them so to speak. 🙂

The reasons behind the war in the Ukraine are I suspect far more complex than simply ‘toxic masculinity’ whatever the hell that is.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 12,088 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sadly the war in The Ukraine is probably far more complex than a one line throwaway soundbite, it does however seem that Boris is prepared to support them no matter how long it takes and how much it cost.

2024 Election won

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Borris is ridiculous  if anyone is going to cause world war 3 in my opinioni will be him  they say its not our war that  nato will only step in if he crosses into a nato border but borris keeps secretly going to Ukraine and keeps supplying Ukraine with weapons borris is fueling the war he is dragging the war out 

The Ukraine president in my opinion should give up innocent people his people are being killed every day if borris didn't supply the weapons the war would of had to stop Ukraine would of had to surrender now putin is turning on borris and borris is now putting the UK at risk 

• Biblioklept
    edited June 2022
    Options
    leeCal said:
    Where was it actually reported that he said that @Biblioklept?
    we usually give a link to any reports to authenticate them so to speak. 🙂

The reasons behind the war in the Ukraine are I suspect far more complex than simply ‘toxic masculinity’ whatever the hell that is.
    I'm sorry @leecal I should have provided that I'm really sorry I didn't. I will try very hard to remember when I post stuff in future. I hope that's okay and I'm sorry again <3
    It's on most news sites at the moment, I don't know which most people deem acceptable but here's the quote on The Guardian https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jun/29/boris-johnson-claims-putin-would-not-have-invaded-ukraine-if-he-was-a-woman 
    Again on The Independent https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-putin-woman-toxic-masculinity-b2111750.html
    And again on BBC https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-61976526

Toxic masculinity I think is meant to be like the boys being raised to one-up each other and try and prove how masculine they are (boys don't cry, boys should like sport, not be sensitive and be macho and stuff). 

I agree with you and think the reasons for the war far more complex and Boris as usual is undermining and making a joke of a very serious subject. Like @woodbine said it's a throwaway soundbite and not a very good one. I feel like Boris is trying to jump on the feminism band wagon and doesn't actually know what he's talking about and actually made clearer just how sexist he is. 

• Biblioklept
    Options
    woodbine said:
    Sadly the war in The Ukraine is probably far more complex than a one line throwaway soundbite, it does however seem that Boris is prepared to support them no matter how long it takes and how much it cost.
    Do you mean support the Ukrainians? I wasn't sure from this part 
  • Biblioklept
    edited June 2022
    Options
    borris keeps secretly going to Ukraine and keeps supplying Ukraine with weapons borris is fueling the war he is dragging the war out 

I don't think he goes anywhere secretly, it's been widely and openly reported he's gone to Ukraine I think? I don't understand comment about dragging out the war.

The Ukraine president in my opinion should give up innocent people his people are being killed every day if borris didn't supply the weapons the war would of had to stop Ukraine would of had to surrender now putin is turning on borris and borris is now putting the UK at risk 

I don't imagine the people of Ukraine feel the same way. If someone invaded your country would you want the government to fight or just say okay and let them for a quiet life? 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.