Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Bit of an odd one

Options
woodbine
woodbine Community member Posts: 12,099 Disability Gamechanger
Around 2 years ago I notified the DWP that our  savings had exceeded 16k and they stopped paying IR ESA (inc SDP) and reduced me to CB ESA I had no problem with that as I fully understood that would happen.

However today I got a letter requesting that I sent copies off my bank statements.
I'm baffled as to why this would be as we have well over 16k (inheritance and pensions cashed in).
Should I just phone them on Monday and tell them what I have in savings etc is our business ??

2024 Election won

Comments

• Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,948 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It's probably to see if maybe they've dropped below and to check whether there's been change. Assume you don't get any other income related benefits? Is there a harm in them knowing or you sending them the bank statements?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 56,998 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yes, I agree with biblioklept and it’s probably them checking and nothing to worry about.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • woodbine
    Options
    Theres little chance of them going below 16k and we get no other means tested benefits, I suppose I was just wondering if a I could tell them to mind their own business?

2024 Election won

• racyguy
    racyguy Community member Posts: 560 Pioneering
    Options
    woodbine said:
    Around 2 years ago I notified the DWP that our  savings had exceeded 16k and they stopped paying IR ESA (inc SDP) and reduced me to CB ESA I had no problem with that as I fully understood that would happen.

However today I got a letter requesting that I sent copies off my bank statements.
    I'm baffled as to why this would be as we have well over 16k (inheritance and pensions cashed in).
    Should I just phone them on Monday and tell them what I have in savings etc is our business ??
    If the request for bank statements is for the period after you lost the means tested ESA then they have nothing to investigate. However if it includes the period when you were receiving income based ESA then yes why not tell them.

• woodbine
    Options
    racyguy said:
    woodbine said:

If the request for bank statements is for the period after you lost the means tested ESA then they have nothing to investigate. However if it includes the period when you were receiving income based ESA then yes why not tell them.

I told them the same day is capital went over 16k

2024 Election won

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    woodbine said:
    racyguy said:
    woodbine said:

That wasn’t what raceguy referred to. He was wondering whether DWP are asking for statements covering when your capital changed or earlier or a more recent period.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • woodbine
    Options
    calcotti said:
    woodbine said:
    racyguy said:
    woodbine said:

That wasn’t what raceguy referred to. He was wondering whether DWP are asking for statements covering when your capital changed or earlier or a more recent period.
    Sorry I mis-read that one they are asking for up to date statements, I will call them tomorrow and ask why thanks all for comments. 

2024 Election won

• woodbine
    Options
    Update; spoke to a DM today who said there is absolutely no need to supply bank statements etc as my claim is CB not IB, although interesting said that even if an IR claim becomes CB the system still recognises it as a IR claim.

2024 Election won

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Glad you got a sensible response. Just in case, I would keep a note of the conversation you had today in case you need to refer back to it.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.