Drying clothes outside — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Drying clothes outside

Options
Biblioklept
Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
It's the first year I've tried drying clothes outside and they dry so quickly but my problem is the clothes horse keep falling over at any bit of wind. How do people stop this happening?

I can't get a washing line as I'm not allowed to install things like that but the clothes horse just keep falling in the slightest wind. 

What does everyone do to dry clothes outside?

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Could you try hanging some weights from the clothes horse @Biblioklept
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,668 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Could you tie it to a fence or something?
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Maybe some weighted bean bags can help keep the base stable? Small ones I mean, not ones you can sit in!
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,266 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Have you thought about a retractable washing line? This can then be taken down and removed easily if you ever move house? 
    I can’t believe that any landlord would refuse anyone the ability to put a washing line up in the garden! Especially knowing how much energy prices have increased.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Karen7788
    Karen7788 Scope Member Posts: 598 Pioneering
    Options
    Wedging it between two garden chairs may help, that’s what I do. If it’s really windy I tie something around the arm of each chair and the clothes horse. 
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone <3 I don't want to tie it to anything as I know I'll never take the step to untie it :D But I'm going to try weights and am looking for small weighted bean bags, and will try wedging it between garden chairs today.

Have you thought about a retractable washing line? This can then be taken down and removed easily if you ever move house? 
    I can’t believe that any landlord would refuse anyone the ability to put a washing line up in the garden! Especially knowing how much energy prices have increased.
    It's a HA and they've said under no circumstances can I add anything to the outside of the house but can to the fence. But the only way would be from the house wall to the opposite fence. Unless it's possible to do it diagonal across a fence corner? 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    It's a HA and they've said under no circumstances can I add anything to the outside of the house but can to the fence. But the only way would be from the house wall to the opposite fence. Unless it's possible to do it diagonal across a fence corner? 

I could understand if it was something other than a small washing line but it's a washing line lol.
    Yes, you can screw the retractable washing line to one side of the fence, then have a hook on the other side to attach the line to. I only have a very small back yard and this is how i put my line up. When it's not in use just unhook it.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    Yes me too! I'd think any future tenants would be glad of it too. Maybe because it's a new build they're just saying no without really paying attention to the request. 

I will look at doing one diagonally between fences, thanks <3
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Good luck @Biblioklept. I hope the community's ideas help. Please feel free to let us know how you get on. We'll think of even more ideas if we can  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Yes me too! I'd think any future tenants would be glad of it too. Maybe because it's a new build they're just saying no without really paying attention to the request. 

I will look at doing one diagonally between fences, thanks <3
    Maybe, but still rather harsh considering the cost of energy right now.
    It should be quite easy to screw straight into the fence on the one side. The hook would then screw into the other side. 
    If you can’t do that yourself do you have someone that can do that for you? 
  • Biblioklept
    Options

Not really but I'll order the stuff, watch lots of videos and try and convince myself to give it a try, hopefully it might be done before next summer :D 
  • poppy123456
    Options

Not really but I'll order the stuff, watch lots of videos and try and convince myself to give it a try, hopefully it might be done before next summer :D 
    Haha. It should come with some screws. No wall plugs will be needed, just the screws into the fence, assuming the fence is wooden lol. 
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    Thanks so much poppy123456! I've ordered one online. I'm hoping it is as simple as it sounds <3
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,610 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Let me know how you get on with them they look good

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.