If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Random PIP payment

Options
Biblioklept
Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,995 Disability Gamechanger
I had a random payment from PIP in my account today (not due a payment for a while).

If they increased my award would it be from date of decision or would it be backdated to when I sent the renewal forms? I'm trying to work out what the payment is for. 

If they'd closed my claim could it be what they owe me up until this point? 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,212 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Usually for reviews that they start the new award takes affect from the date the decision is made. It's not usually backdated if you have a higher award. Although, it has been known for them to backdate a claim even for a review but it's rare for them to do this.
    If a refusal is given then you'll be paid what is owed up until the decision is made.
    I know you can't ring them so hopefully, the decision letter will arrive very soon. Do let us know the outcome.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    Thank you poppy123456 you're so patient with all my questions and I'm really grateful to you <3

As I've not had an assessment I imagine it could just be they've ended my claim and not extended it while waiting for review which is annoying. But I guess I just need to wait and see!
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Thank you poppy123456 you're so patient with all my questions and I'm really grateful to you <3

You're welcome. I'm used to a thousand questions from my daughter :D so an extra few doesn't hurt.  :D

As I've not had an assessment I imagine it could just be they've ended my claim and not extended it while waiting for review which is annoying. But I guess I just need to wait and see!

That's odd if they have ended your award if a decision hasn't been made. Usually because of the size of the backlogs they would extend it. Not having an assessment could mean a paper based assessment has been completed.
    Just curious, do they have a mobile number for you? They have started to send out texts with those that are successfully awarded but i don't know if that's just for new claims. Thinking about it i can't say i've heard of anyone receiving a text when waiting for a review decision.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    Just curious, do they have a mobile number for you? They have started to send out texts with those that are successfully awarded but i don't know if that's just for new claims. Thinking about it i can't say i've heard of anyone receiving a text when waiting for a review decision.

They do yes but I haven't had any texts or updates. It is interesting if it is only for new claims and a shame as those waiting on reviews seem to be waiting much longer at the moment so could do with more updates lol. 
  • Biblioklept
    Options

I know you can't ring them so hopefully, the decision letter will arrive very soon. Do let us know the outcome.
    I got a decision letter today so I must have had a paper based assessment again. I received enhanced both, and the daily living (increased from standard to enhanced) has been backdated to December last year. It doesn't say why so I'm not really sure and find that a bit confusing, but I'm over the moon! 

Is it okay to ask, are there set limitations as to how long they can make an award? Such as can they choose any random or does it go up in intervals? Like 1 year, 2 year, 5 years, 10 years or just anything they think? 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    That's brilliant news! Very odd how it was backdated to December when it was a review started by them. They usually pick a date out of thin air. Sometimes the award lengths make no sense. May i ask how long the award is for?
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    Yes I can't understand why it has been backdated either. I did highlight some information in the form that I felt they had missed last time and why although my condition is unchanged I don't think I was awarded properly last time. So maybe I had a kind decision maker that looked at it as a change. I really don't know and December seems a weird date to backdate it to as well. I think it's the date they sent the renewal letter to me.
    I've been awarded for 3 years this time. My last one was for 2. I'm already stressing about the next review :D 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You should treat yourself with the money you received. That seems like another length plucked out of thin air. It really makes no sense at all. Autism isn't going to improve lol.
    My daughter had 2 short awards. The first one was 18 months. 2nd was 2 years but got extended for a short while during Covid. Her last review the finally extended it to a 6 year award. I asked for a longer award length based on the to previous award lengths and no changes in her conditions. They did listen this time.
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    Thanks I'll try that next time. I used to claim adult DLA and had indefinite award and when they asked me to claim PIP instead I was in a very bad way so didn't as had no way to go through with it and no longer had support. I then did PIP 2 years ago and got paper based and now this award. I worry so much about the reviews, I know 3 years is a long time away but it just feels like a noose around my neck. Same with waiting for WCA review. Although at least PIP I know roughly when it'll come, WCA it's just sitting waiting every day for it to come through the door which is really scary. 

Sorry I didn't mean to babble on, I'm sure you know what it's like, although maybe some people are able to forget about it but I really can't. Every day it comes to my mind without fail!! 

With the backdated money I've ordered some flower pots and seeds and I'm going to try planting some things in the garden. I've no clue what I'm doing but it'll mean I'm outside a little bit and learning something new. I'm excited but hoping that doesn't wear off before the things arrive!!
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,981 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2022
    Options
    You are welcome @Biblioklept. It is the very least you deserve. I can hear how difficult this has been for you, especially with the regular changes and needing to deal with different processes and systems.

What do you think might help this to feel more manageable for you at the moment? I can hear you are feeling worried. We are here for you, even if this is just a listening ear. Also, good luck with planting!  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Simondo
    Simondo Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Options
    I had a random payment from PIP in my account today (not due a payment for a while).

If they increased my award would it be from date of decision or would it be backdated to when I sent the renewal forms? I'm trying to work out what the payment is for. 

Hi Biblioklept.  I’ve been receiving enhanced PIP since last October, but received a random payment today.  Mine was a backdated payment that was in relation to a hospital stay last year.  I rang them on 0800 121 4433, which is the PIP helpline.  They were so good.  Make sure you have your NI number ready, and they’ll ask other security questions of course, but definitely call them to where you’re at with the ‘why’ for the payment.  I get that paranoia can come in too, but certainly make the call.  You’ll then have peace of mind.  Have a good rest of the day.  Simon.

• bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Simondo This thread is from August 2022.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Simondo said:

Hi Biblioklept.  I’ve been receiving enhanced PIP since last October, but received a random payment today.  Mine was a backdated payment that was in relation to a hospital stay last year.  I rang them on 0800 121 4433, which is the PIP helpline.  They were so good.  Make sure you have your NI number ready, and they’ll ask other security questions of course, but definitely call them to where you’re at with the ‘why’ for the payment.  I get that paranoia can come in too, but certainly make the call.  You’ll then have peace of mind.  Have a good rest of the day.  Simon.

This thread is 13 months old. Looking at their other comments in the thread the money they received was a backdated payment for money that was owed for the higher award.
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    Simondo said:

Super sweet of you to comment and advise and tell me @simondo <3 I always panic when it's my own claim and logic goes completely out of the window!! Glad you got to the bottom of your own payment too!! Have a lovely day 

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.