Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Bin collections

Options
Biblioklept
Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,957 Disability Gamechanger
edited August 2022 in Coffee lounge
Where I was living before we still had weekly bin collections but now it's fortnightly and some areas 3-weekly and I don't know how large families would manage!!

Are everyone's bins now fortnightly or are some people still weekly? 

Another random question but is "bin day" Friday for everyone?? It's always been a Friday for me where ever I've lived

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,508 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Ours is weekly, alternating between the green and black bin. So there are 2 weeks between each collection for each type of bin. 

Our bin day is a Friday too, but not everyone's is! 

If you were a large family, you might consider getting a second wheelie bin. That wouldn't solve the problem of potential rotting food and such, though! 

National Campaigns Officer at Scope, she/her

• bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Mine is Black (general waste) once a fortnight and the weeks in between are the Blue (plastics etc) and the alternative week being Brown (paper etc).
    Wednesday morning gets collected without fail, always before 10am too.
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    bg844 said:
    Mine is Black (general waste) once a fortnight and the weeks in between are the Blue (plastics etc) and the alternative week being Brown (paper etc).
    Wednesday morning gets collected without fail, always before 10am too.

Wednesday is interesting day!! I like it being Friday as feels like a clear out before the weekend :D 

Our bin collection varies in time but last week it was after 2pm that they finally came  :o I remember as a child it always being done before we were even off to school in the morning

• Biblioklept
    Options
    Ours is weekly, alternating between the green and black bin. So there are 2 weeks between each collection for each type of bin. 

Our bin day is a Friday too, but not everyone's is! 

If you were a large family, you might consider getting a second wheelie bin. That wouldn't solve the problem of potential rotting food and such, though! 
    Oh I didn't think of it like that, mine is weekly too then but different bin types like yours. So fortnightly for each bin type.

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 14,984 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    We have a recycling bin and a general bin and they get collected on alternating weeks.

We are only a family of 3 but we get quite a few things online which come in a lot of cardboard packaging.

Often the recycling bin gets so full that we have to use the general bin to put recyclable waste in which seems like a bit of a waste!
  • Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    Options
    I have green (recycling) and a brown (general) bins which are collected on alternate weeks on a Thursday; this day can change if there are Bank Holidays in the week.
    In practice I try to put the brown bin out every time it is due, but the green one I can sometimes miss 2 or 3 cycles because there is only me and I mainly eat food that is fresh, so has minimal packaging.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,107 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My collections are weekly but green (household) and blue (recycling) alternate weeks. My collection day is Tuesday. Where i lived previously to where i am now, it was Thursday. In previous areas where i've lived it's been Monday or Wednesday so yes it can be any day.
    Early afternoon is usually when they come, if they can get into the street... if they can't they will come back on a different day, which is very annoying.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • life
    life Community member Posts: 527 Pioneering
    Options
    Every week recycling containers, every fortnight rubbish bins. Friday's.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 55,693 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Black bin food waste, green recycle, brown Garden waste, every 2 weeks for all and on same day a Friday.  I also have food waste bin cleaned once a month, by the wheels bin cleaners, it costs 3 pound, but I get maggots on top of the bin. So it's ideal to get chemically cleaned. Larger families can have bigger bins.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Green and blue bin collected on alternate weeks on a Tuesday before 8 am so put out night before 

I have my general waste bin cleaned every 2 weeks after it is emptied 
  • emancherry33
    emancherry33 Community member Posts: 3,640 Pioneering
    Options
    Both bins round my way emptied every two weeks . If bin's get full end up using rubbish bins in streets , street bins emptied nearly every day , seems crazy..
  • Sandy_123
    Options
    Used to be weekly here until they changed it, to cut costs, didn't get reduction in council tax tho
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 12,109 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    We have 3 bins and they are all emptied on a fortnightly basis, It's many years since we had weekly collections and whilst CT didn't go down it stopped it going up to a point.

2024 Election won

• Sandy_123
    Options
    Oh no ours has increased, a lot
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 12,109 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

2024 Election won

• bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I too get my general waste bin cleaned once every two weeks. It costs £3 a time and I pay that by Direct Debit. My bin gets quite filthy so worth it.
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Black Bin - general household - i put my rubbish in black bags couldn't cope with "maggots" - collected every Monday only days that are missed is if Christmas/Boxing Day/New Year falls on a Monday. 
    Brown Bin - paper/cardboard/tins/some plastics - collected every other Monday
    Green Bin - garden waste - collected every other Monday
    Black Box - glass bottles - collected same time as brown bin.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,796 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    We just have one mixed recycling bin and one general waste bin here.  Collected on alternate weeks.  Every Monday morning, including bank holidays!  Usually before 9am.  Where I lived before we had the same bin system, but collection was around midday on Wednesdays.

I assume the bin operators work many days within their area so each council will have different collection areas for each day of the week.

There's no kerbside glass recycling here, nor batteries, textiles, hard plastics or small electricals, which is a bit of an issue for people that can't get out.  I want to recycle more but am limited by that.  There are optional green waste bins for people with gardens.
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    66Mustang said:

We are only a family of 3 but we get quite a few things online which come in a lot of cardboard packaging.

This is same as me, without going out everything I get is online and the packaging is crazy sometimes so always have a lot of recycling
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    Cartini said:
    I have green (recycling) and a brown (general) bins 
    My collections are weekly but green (household) and blue (recycling) alternate weeks. 
    Wait do you guys just have 1 recycling bin and all types of recycling go into it?? 

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.