ESA and bank interest

Options
woodbine
woodbine Community member Posts: 12,139 Championing
Bit of an odd one, but does interest from a building society account have any affect on cont.based old style ESA, the interest is paid monthly and is around £130 a month.(the capital has already been declared)

Thanks in advance for any help with this one as couldn't find any answers on google.

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Championing
    edited August 2022
    Options
    No it makes no difference. Your income and capital has no impact on contribution based ESA (the only income that can matter is pension/PHI income).

Your old ESA can be assessed to see if you would also qualify for income based ESA top up. I infer from your post that you have no entitlement - that would be the case if for example you have capital over £16,000. If you were being assessed for income based ESA the interest payments would be treated as an addition to capital.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 12,139 Championing
    Options
    Thanks calcotti, I realised as soon as I pressed send that I knew the answer, we did qualify for income related but capital went over 16k and we lost that.
    But thanks again
  • calcotti
    Options
    You're welcome. 
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 5,022 Championing
    Options
    I know this has been answered but I wondered if there's a limit on this?? Like there is an earning and work limit so would there be a limit to income from other sources??
  • calcotti
    Options
    I know this has been answered but I wondered if there's a limit on this?? Like there is an earning and work limit so would there be a limit to income from other sources??
    None. 
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 5,022 Championing
    Options
    Thanks calcotti it is so appreciated you took the time to answer <3 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,980 Championing
    Options
    How are things with you at the moment @Biblioklept? I hope Calcotti was able to help  :)