Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Benefit increases

Options
woodbine
woodbine Community member Posts: 12,112 Disability Gamechanger
As we all know benefits increased by 3.1% in April this year, based on the inflation figure for September 2021, as inflation is now rising to 10% and maybe 13% by xmas do any of you think that the incoming PM should make it a priority to increase benefits by at least 6% ? Next April will whatever is be too little too late imho.

2024 Election won

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,561 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I think it would certainly help @woodbine, pretty much everything isn't matching inflation at the moment, and it's a worrying time for many people.

Whether it will happen or not is another thing entirely, sadly!
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    There was something on the vine show this morning about pensions and the expert ? They had on said there would be a massive increase in state pension next year due to inflation so hopefully prices will have flattened out and people wouldn't be as bad off as they are now 

I know if was on TV so not holding my breath 
  • Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    Options
    Controversially, I don`t agree that there should be an immediate increase.  The economy is suffering badly because of recent events; applying the rate of inflation early to pensions & benefits will not help the economy and it will have a knock on effect elsewhere.  
    I am, however, more concerned whether the government will apply the September ROI in April, or will it try and change it again?
  • Cartini
    Options
    janer1967 said:
    There was something on the vine show this morning about pensions and the expert ? They had on said there would be a massive increase in state pension next year due to inflation so hopefully prices will have flattened out and people wouldn't be as bad off as they are now 

I know if was on TV so not holding my breath 
    That`s if the government honour that process.
    I`m trying not to get too over worried about it; like you said, I`m hoping for a nice increase in benefits with a gradual fall in prices.  I`m not holding my breath either.

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 55,759 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    We will wait and see, Boris is sunning himself in Greece at the moment 
  • Cartini
    Options
    Sandy_123 said:
    We will wait and see, Boris is sunning himself in Greece at the moment 
    He`s allowed a holiday, just as any other person is.
    I`m not a fan of the Tories.  Having said that, I`m not a fan of any of our political parties; but they are allowed / entitled to have holidays.
    Anyway, it won`t be Boris making the decision - it will be either Truss or Sunak, neither of whom will get my vote.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I think they should honour the triple lock else why have it at all!

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Cartini
    Options
    leeCal said:
    It`s being reinstated from next April; however, this doesn`t excuse them for suspending it in the first place.

• woodbine
    Options
    The reason they didn't apply the triple lock this year was because wages had increased as people came off furlough, they have promised (if you believe anything they say) that pensions and benefits from April 2023 will increase by the ROI in September 2022, which could be somewhere between 9-11%

2024 Election won

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 55,759 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Cartini I didn't say he wasn't entitled to a holiday, just that he is busy away at the moment in Greece sunning himself. 

• Cartini
    Options
    Sandy_123 said:
    @Cartini I didn't say he wasn't entitled to a holiday, just that he is busy away at the moment in Greece sunning himself. 

And that`s how easy it is for someone to misunderstand written comments :)
    I wasn`t attacking what you said, I just merely stated that he is entitled to a holiday.
    On the other hand, if you read the bias Daily Mail online, he is being criticised for taking a holiday.
    Andy
  • racyguy
    racyguy Community member Posts: 560 Pioneering
    Options
    Cartini said:
    leeCal said:
    It`s being reinstated from next April; however, this doesn`t excuse them for suspending it in the first place.

All I am seeing is that the people of this country are demanding that they should not be suffering because of inflation and the state of the world oil prices. The simple question I would ask is who is going to pay for all of these demands when the country is so heavily in debt because of the financial help given during the pandemic. Should we just bung it on the country's credit card? Or should we rake in more in taxes? 
  • Cartini
    Options
    racyguy said:
    Cartini said:
    leeCal said:

All I am seeing is that the people of this country are demanding that they should not be suffering because of inflation and the state of the world oil prices. The simple question I would ask is who is going to pay for all of these demands when the country is so heavily in debt because of the financial help given during the pandemic. Should we just bung it on the country's credit card? Or should we rake in more in taxes? 
    That`s the very reason I put this in my response to the original post: "Controversially, I don`t agree that there should be an immediate increase.  The economy is suffering badly because of recent events; applying the rate of inflation early to pensions & benefits will not help the economy and it will have a knock on effect elsewhere."
    With respect to the tripple-lock, that shouldn`t have been suspended; it was a pledge in their manifesto (I`ve a few years to go for my state pension, but what Sunak did was disgusting).  If Sunak was so worried about the coffers, he should have clawed some of the furlough money back.

• woodbine
    Options
    July inflation figures out at 7a.m tomorrow any bets on 10% ?

2024 Election won

• Cartini
    Options
    woodbine said:

Being selfish and looking ahead to April and the application of the rate to pensions & benefits...... I hope so ;)
  • woodbine
    Options
    Cartini said:
    woodbine said:

Being selfish and looking ahead to April and the application of the rate to pensions & benefits...... I hope so ;)
    It's possible that by Sept. inflation might be 12% the BofE is expecting it to hit 13% well before the end of the year, the down side being that they also expect us to be in a recession at the end of the year and most of 2023.

2024 Election won

• racyguy
    racyguy Community member Posts: 560 Pioneering
    Options
    Cartini said:
    woodbine said:

If the Triple Lock goes ahead at 10%+ next April I can foresee that those public sector workers that have been offered 3-5% up in arms over it. It has already been privately suggested in Parliament that there will be a limit of 5% and not what the level of inflation is. 
    How on earth is the government going to be able to justify that level of increase to them when benefit claimants & pensioners will be getting up to treble what was offered to them. 
    We may well be looking at a national countrywide strike. 
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @racyguy Said
    It has already been privately suggested in Parliament that there will be a limit of 5% and not what the level of inflation is. 

Is that definitely so? Just how privately suggested was it?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Cartini
    Options
    racyguy said:
    Cartini said:
    woodbine said:

If the Triple Lock goes ahead at 10%+ next April I can foresee that those public sector workers that have been offered 3-5% up in arms over it. It has already been privately suggested in Parliament that there will be a limit of 5% and not what the level of inflation is. 
    How on earth is the government going to be able to justify that level of increase to them when benefit claimants & pensioners will be getting up to treble what was offered to them. 
    We may well be looking at a national countrywide strike. 
    I work in the Public Sector but, because of my situation, I will never get a pay rise.  Even so, it doesn`t bother me one bit when pensioners and benefit claimants have increases higher than wage rise offers.  I know I will benefit from PIP going up, but even before I applied for PIP the increase to pensions / benefits didn`t bother me.

To be honest with you, I expect the government to change the rules again.  Previously RPI was used for pensions / benefits increases, but because it usually runs slightly higher than CPI the government changed the model to use CPI. In June 2022, PRI was running at 11.8%.

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Cartini said:
    Previously RPI was used for pensions / benefits increases, but because it usually runs slightly higher than CPI the government changed the model to use CPI. In June 2022, PRI was running at 11.8%.
    Bizarrely, although RPI is no longer an official National statistic, train fares are still linked to RPI (although government is reducing the increases for next year).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.