Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

The new energy cap.

Options
woodbine
woodbine Community member Posts: 12,088 Disability Gamechanger
edited August 2022 in Coffee lounge
Tomorrow will see the announcement of the new energy price cap applicable from Oct.1st, my guess is somewhere around £3,500 almost treble what it was a year ago.

2024 Election won

Comments

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2022
    Options
    It’s going to be around two weeks before we hear what the government is likely to do about the energy crisis. Sunak and Truss should have worked out together a united plan of what to do by now regardless of who wins instead of playing politics, another example of self serving politicians in my opinion.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• woodbine
    Options
    Should the fact that the Tories need to change leader every ten minutes mean that we have no affective govt. a time when we have what can now only be described as a national crisis ?

Lets look at some of the facts.
    Inflation at a 40 year high and going higher 
    Shortages in the shops 
    Interest rates going higher
    Pensions and benefits increased by less than 7% of the current inflation rate
    War in Europe.
    People having to chose between heating and eating (and thats before winter starts)

We should remember this govts. lack of action when they seek re-election in two years time.

2024 Election won

• leeCal
    Options
    Totally agree, I for one will remind as many people as possible.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Karen7788
    Karen7788 Scope Member Posts: 598 Pioneering
    Options
    I honestly don’t personally know one person that actually voted for them last time and I’m not at all surprised by their lack of action. 
  • woodbine
    Options
    £3549 announced as the new CAP

2024 Election won

• vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,493 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
       But I've just got an email from my supplier saying they are there for me, so everything will be ok. 🤔

These people do not live in the real world. How on earth do they think that people will be able to pay this ridiculous amount! The mind boggles.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 174 Listener
    Options
    I'm spending £50 a week on leccy it used to be £10 this time of year. It getting silly now
  • Siwheels73
    Siwheels73 Scope Member Posts: 748 Pioneering
    Options
    @leeCal and @woodbine given the international situation, with the War in Ukraine, we would have been hit by this no matter who was in power at the time, and heaven knows if they would have been any different given that only the Government sees the full story - not the opposition.
  • Bennyboy1
    Bennyboy1 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    What I can't understand is why the price for all electricity is going up when the price to produce renewable energy is not related to the cost of gas. 
  • leeCal
    Options
    Yes @Siwheels73 But why couldn’t Sunak and Truss work out a united plan to tackle this national emergency together regardless of which one becomes prime minister, after all they both represent the same current ruling party. 

There is a great deal of anxiety across this nation due to this energy energy crisis and they could have helped alleviate some of that anxiety by working together instead of playing silly buggers!

― Dalai Lama XIV

• Karen7788
    edited August 2022
    Options
    We need to get ahead of this by planning for this winter before it’s on top of us. 
  • Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    Options
    Karen7788 said:
    I honestly don’t personally know one person that actually voted for them last time and I’m not at all surprised by their lack of action. 
    I voted for the Tories last time, but only to keep Liebour out.  But if either Sunak or Truss are at the helm for the next GE I`ll be voting for the Monster Raving Loony Party.
  • Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    Options
    leeCal said:
    Yes @Siwheels73 But why couldn’t Sunak and Truss work out a united plan to tackle this national emergency together regardless of which one becomes prime minister, after all they both represent the same current ruling party. 

There is a great deal of anxiety across this nation due to this energy energy crisis and they could have helped alleviate some of that anxiety by working together instead of playing silly buggers!
    Politicians, regardless of party colour, only care about the electorate when they want your vote.  When they`ve ensnared you, it`s "sodoffsville" for you.
    As far as I`m concerned, they are all two-faced, back-stabbing, narcissistic <born out of wedlock>s who should be led to the carousel at a certain age (as in the film Logan`s Run).

• leeCal
    Options
    @Cartini 🤣 
    agreed!

― Dalai Lama XIV

• Karen7788
    Options
    There’s a petition on change.org at the moment about the energy caps etc. 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,982 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Really important and insightful thread. Thanks everyone!

If anyone needs any support with this please don't hesitate to let us know. We are all here for you  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • jamrumples
    jamrumples Community member Posts: 114 Connected
    Options
    I am honestly scared to death. I’m already getting threatening letters from my energy provider. Saying they will be transferring me into a debt collection agency. 

The last time that happened and I had an enforcer come barging into my home. I ended up in the hospital having taken an overdose, i literally can’t do this. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,386 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @jamrumples I'm sorry to hear how worried this has all gotten you. Have you contacted your energy provider to see about setting up a payment plan with them? 

Given how much you've struggled with this in the past, do you have much support available for your mental health at the moment?
    Community Manager
    Scope
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.