If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Most people are decent

Options
woodbine
woodbine Community member Posts: 12,115 Disability Gamechanger
When we read about the murder of a 9 year old (as we did on Monday) It's a natural reaction to think that people are rotten (I'm avoiding bad language), but something happened today that should make us think again. Today Liverpool scored nine goals, put that aside as all the crowd started to clap on nine minutes and sing "You'll never walk alone".
Made me stop and think and realise that most of us are decent human beings.

2024 Election won

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 14,983 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @woodbine, I have to agree that most people are decent (in my view).

I often start thinking that people must be bad, not because of criminals like murders, that's obviously only a tiny minority, but because it seems that a lot of people do do something minor like being rude or aggressive or have questionable morals.

I often see the worst of people as I spend a lot of time on the internet which brings out the worst in people. I also spend a lot of time in the car and, like the internet, that also gives people a "shield" where they feel able to act like complete arses - for example blasting their horn and swearing at someone just because they pulled out in front of them.

I have found out though that, when you meet people face-to-face, most of them are pretty decent.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Reminds me of Kelly’s fundamental attribution error, we often attribute someone’s behaviour to their personality rather than the circumstances. 

As you say mustang, make the circumstances neutral and you find that most people are decent enough.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,981 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    This thread is really powerful!  <3
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.