Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Without giving away your name

Options
Biblioklept
Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,991 Disability Gamechanger
Without giving away your name, do you know why your parents gave you the name you have??

I was named after a song my parents liked! 

Comments

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 55,726 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I have absolutely no idea apart from I presumed they liked the name
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,499 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I was apparently named after a character in a TV show my dad liked. I always forget which show it was!

National Campaigns Officer at Scope, she/her

• Biblioklept
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Sandy_123 said:
    I have absolutely no idea apart from I presumed they liked the name

That's the best reason for a name!! I always wonder where parent's get inspiration from though, like assuming your name is Sandy, did they hear it once, find it in a name book, relative, old friend etc. 

I totally overthink things but it just fascinates me where things and people get their names from  :D
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My mum had a different name planned but she changed her mind whilst she was in hospital with me. Glad she did, the other name was terrible :D
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I was to be called Helen but my mum's best friend called her daughter Helen born few weeks b4 me so in all honesty don't know where it came from 

With picking a name for my son we got a book 9f names and any we liked we put on piece paper and put the names in hat and picked one out 

His middle name was his dad and grandad middle name 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 12,112 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My middle name is after my godfather who I haven't seen since the late 60's

2024 Election won

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,119 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    When i was born i was named but when my dad registered me, he used a completely different name. :D My mother wasn't with him so she didn't know until he got home.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    bg844 said:
    My mum had a different name planned but she changed her mind whilst she was in hospital with me. Glad she did, the other name was terrible :D
    Haha! I wonder if she'd named you it whether you would like the name now though! 
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    When i was born i was named but when my dad registered me, he used a completely different name. :D My mother wasn't with him so she didn't know until he got home.
    I bet your mother wasn't happy!!!! That's so funny though
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    Karen7788 said:
    It’s funny how things stick in your mind from years ago, in my first week at school (many moons ago) someone pinched my cardigan and threw it on top of a wall, a little boy went to the caretaker and asked him to get it back for me. I thought this boy was just perfect and that memory of kindness towards me will always be with me, I named my first son after him. 
    That's soo lovely Karen!! Not someone stealing your cardigan but the little boy and how it stuck in your mind like that <3 
  • CoffeeFirst
    CoffeeFirst Scope Member Posts: 203 Pioneering
    Options
    It’s a name that was popular at the time. We are all around the same age (give or take) but I don’t mind it. Also I can shorten it which is great 😀.

However, my middle name I don’t particularly like but at least it’s not my first name 😆.

• wendy41
    wendy41 Community member Posts: 228 Pioneering
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Mine was picked out by the nurse who looked after my mum while in hospital after giving birth to me. The nurse always called me by the name and my mum said that isn't her name; so all names were put into a bowl and the nurse picked out a name... and so it was meant to be as it was the name she always called me. It wasn't heard of back then but today is popular. I've never changed it. 
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My Dad choose all our names there is a bit of a pattern and my middle name is my godmothers name.
    Dad T Brother R all 4 girls start with S so it's - RST 
    It's funny with names - our youngest son for instance i liked the name Oliver
    When he was born he was born with club foot - my Dad's view was you can't call him Oliver because everyone will call him Oliver Twist mmmmmmm We did call him Oliver and everyone calls him Oli ha ha x
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,119 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I bet your mother wasn't happy!!!! That's so funny though
    Apparently not 😂 thank goodness for fathers! 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • emancherry33
    emancherry33 Community member Posts: 3,640 Pioneering
    Options
    My mum chose my name because she wanted a name no one could shorten.. did not work everyone ended up calling me a one letter word
  • life
    life Community member Posts: 527 Pioneering
    Options
    I was named after an infamous 1960s gangster from London 😳 lol
  • Binky1234
    Binky1234 Community member Posts: 438 Pioneering
    Options
    I was named after my Aunt although we both have completely different names as my name is Gaelic for her name.
    Knowing When to walk away is Wisdom, being able is courage, walking away with your head held high is dignity.
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    However, my middle name I don’t particularly like but at least it’s not my first name 😆.

I don't think I ever met anyone that says they like their middle name :D 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.