Power cuts ? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Power cuts ?

woodbine
woodbine Community member Posts: 11,284 Disability Gamechanger
edited October 2022 in Cost of living
It's a distinct possibility that if this winter is colder than usual we could be facing rolling 3 hour power cuts, as a just in case I will be buying candles, torches and batteries, having lived through the power cuts of the '70s I remember well how necessary they were and how short the supply became.
2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Tagged:

Comments

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Good idea @woodbine, I already bought candles 🕯 
    wont be able to do much with my gas central heating though apart from go to bed early I suppose.
    i wonder if they could give a warning as to when they will cut the power ...that’s if they do actually cut the power. 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• woodbine
    Last time we had power cuts we usually got some warning, although back then if you lived near a hospital you never had power cuts, not sure now.
    Oddly enough we had a power cut last weekend lasted about an hour but as a vunerable customer did get a warning by text.

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 43,584 Disability Gamechanger
    I think torches be a  safer option  then candles. Can also buy battery operated lamps too now
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes, camping gear for the front room 🤣

(actually not a bad idea)

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Karen7788
    Karen7788 Scope Member Posts: 598 Pioneering
    I think they should be putting some public information out about cutting down on energy use then it may not come to that. I just hope that they plan properly for it instead of taking last minute drastic action. 
  • Wibbles
    Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,543 Pioneering
    Smart Meters - in theory, allow them to pick a certain area to cut the supply to - but whether this would happen is a matter for them to decide !
    I remember the power cuts in the 70's  - we were lucky to have a touring caravan in the front garden and lived in that for a few days/nights, running heating and cooking on bottled gas and lighting from a 12v car battery - charging the battery during the day. We were the envy of the local area, even watching TV on a 12" portable in the evenings when everyone else was sitting in the dark in their living rooms !

If things do get bad - they could have rolling blackouts - but these would be carefully planned with plenty of warning.

• Wibbles
    edited October 2022
    leeCal said:
    Yes, camping gear for the front room 🤣

(actually not a bad idea)

Tent pegs in the parquet flooring ??
    Camp fire by the door..
  • Wibbles
    woodbine said:
    Last time we had power cuts we usually got some warning, although back then if you lived near a hospital you never had power cuts, not sure now.
    Oddly enough we had a power cut last weekend lasted about an hour but as a vunerable customer did get a warning by text.

Must have been a planned power cut then ?
    I am registered as a vulnerable customer with Octopus and wondered whether I would get any warning !
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    @Wibbles I'm registered as vulnerable customer with the power grid and I get messages of any expected power cuts and also any reported cuts in my area 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Campaigns Posts: 12,487 Disability Gamechanger
    The BBC News article I read on this said that affected households would be warned, in the  "unlikely scenario" it happens :)
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • woodbine
    There is talk we would receive discount for using power at non peak periods, that might be interesting

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,555 Disability Gamechanger
    I think this has been blown massively out of proportion by the media.  (Makes a change!)  There's virtually no chance of this happening.  

However, I can't pretend I'm not concerned about the small chance that it could happen.  I have to have a basic hot meal at exactly the same time every evening to keep digestive issues under some control.  (Not possible without peak-time electricity).  I also have a poorly designed fridge-freezer that gets 'confused' by power being reconnected and heats food to unsafe levels after a powercut.  As I'm housebound now, I couldn't just go and buy fresh stuff the next day, would have to wait up to a week for someone to deliver some more.  I also rely on TV or radio to manage high stress situations, not really sure how I'd manage dark evenings in silence either.  As I said earlier though, I'm fairly sure it won't come to power cuts to homes.  I do expect some high consuming commercial businesses to be restricted in some way at some point though.
  • Wibbles
    And the government wants us all to have electric vehicles within 10 years - just how will we be able to charge them - with the unknown cost of electricity by then - and will there even be enough available by then ?
    I mean, "power cuts" without the extra billions of kW needed to charge them
  • jules2022
    jules2022 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Talking of camping gear which might be helpful, there are lots of wind-up torches and radios available. Appreciate wind-up might not work for those with certain conditions, but for others would be no costs for batteries.  
  • suzylou
    suzylou Community member Posts: 21 Courageous
    Am very worried about power cuts and food going off in fridge and freezer. Me and dad need eat at certain times a hot meal. i am unable to cope with food going off and going out getting food every day limited options and we need heating on and unable to find battery operated easy to use heaters as unable to understand written i instructions. We are unable to cope with all this. There should have been back up storage of energy ready for this. i have set routines i do at certain times too. it doesnt help with my severe anxiety generalised anxiety disorder stress autism ocd and other physical problems. we hate candles scared of them but got some torches. sorry to ramble on
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Campaigns Posts: 12,487 Disability Gamechanger
    There's no need to apoloise @suzylou :) 

My understanding is that power cuts are unlikely, so I'd try not to worry too much (I realise this is easier said than done!). 

I don't think I've used a battery operated heater before. If you post the instructions of how to use one you've got your eye on, we may be able to help with explaining how to use it. Does that sound good to you?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • woodbine
    Wibbles said:
    And the government wants us all to have electric vehicles within 10 years - just how will we be able to charge them - with the unknown cost of electricity by then - and will there even be enough available by then ?
    The oil used now to be refined for petrol could be used to produce the extra electricity needed for electric cars quite simple if you think about it, also over the next 10 years more nuclear plants will come online inc. the new smaller ones designed by Rolls Royce capable of supplying a small city.

• IntneNavy
    IntneNavy Community member Posts: 7 Connected
    battery bank, and usb lights and a camping stove for coffee/tea/food.    that way you can use mobiles and tablets and internet
  • Wibbles
    edited November 2022
    There's no need to apoloise @suzylou :) 

My understanding is that power cuts are unlikely, so I'd try not to worry too much (I realise this is easier said than done!). 

I don't think I've used a battery operated heater before. If you post the instructions of how to use one you've got your eye on, we may be able to help with explaining how to use it. Does that sound good to you?

Battery powered heaters - do not exist - they consume far too much power for batteries to cope with...
    Unless you are talking about handwarmers !
  • Wibbles
    woodbine said:
    Wibbles said:
    The oil used now to be refined for petrol could be used to produce the extra electricity needed for electric cars quite simple if you think about it, also over the next 10 years more nuclear plants will come online inc. the new smaller ones designed by Rolls Royce capable of supplying a small city.

So that would mean that we would have a system similar to the states - ie) no national grid - instead locally run power stations (run by Homer Simpsons) ?

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.