Helping each other. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Helping each other.

Options
woodbine
woodbine Community member Posts: 11,614 Disability Gamechanger
I thought it appropriate that we had a thread where we could share ideas about cutting cost/saving money etc etc.

I have a few ideas which I will chip in with later on if the thread has any interest.
The time has come where we must do all we can to help each other.
2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Comments

• life
    life Community member Posts: 527 Pioneering
    Options
    Bought an air fryer couple weeks ago. Cooks food faster saves turning on the oven for small portions. 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Buying more 'own brand' products from the supermarkets will help save on the cost of the weekly shop :) 
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • woodbine
    Options
    Turning central heating down 1 degree saves money, looking in charity shops for clothes can often help you snap up a bargain.

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,577 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    A tip that I always preach to family members...

Treat your money exactly the same just after payday as you do on the last day of the month!!! It's easy to say "Oooo I've just been paid, I'm rich!!! time for a takeaway." Don't do that. Be just as tight at the start of the month as you are at the end of the month when you are living off the pennies.

The bonus of that is by the end of the month you might not be living off the pennies but you might have enough to live relatively comfortably all month, instead of living like a prince for the first 2 weeks then living like a pauper for the last 2 weeks.
  • racyguy
    racyguy Community member Posts: 560 Pioneering
    Options
    66Mustang said:
    A tip that I always preach to family members...

Treat your money exactly the same just after payday as you do on the last day of the month!!! It's easy to say "Oooo I've just been paid, I'm rich!!! time for a takeaway." Don't do that. Be just as tight at the start of the month as you are at the end of the month when you are living off the pennies.

The bonus of that is by the end of the month you might not be living off the pennies but you might have enough to live relatively comfortably all month, instead of living like a prince for the first 2 weeks then living like a pauper for the last 2 weeks.
    So true.

• woodbine
    Options
    One thing I found helped me in the past was to write down in a notebook everything I spent money on for a calendar month, then at the end of said month I sat down and looked at what I bought but really could have lived with out.

It helped me get my spending under control, I suppose there might even be an App for this today.

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks everyone for continuing to share your tips. You all contribute to making this such a supportive and friendly space.

I think my tip would be looking online to see if there are any discount codes before buying something! And if not, shopping around to see where things are cheapest  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I made my own budget on Excel to do something similar @woodbine :) Though I just track categories of spending, rather than breaking it down into each singular item. It's definitely been eye opening in the past. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.