Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Question about intrusive thoughts

Options
Biblioklept
Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,751 Disability Gamechanger
Anyone else that gets intrusive thoughts, do you go through periods where they just get relentless??
I'm normally quite good at ignoring them or rationalising and just going about my day but lately they've just been taking over a bit and it feels like they won't stop. 
I'm not at risk or in danger or anything (so don't worry scope staff!!) but it's getting me down and it's not been this bad before

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 14,252 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I don't know if your thoughts are the same but I get intrusive thoughts "telling" me to do something I don't want to do like harm myself or crash the car or swear at someone etc. These thoughts do get really relentless at times and in the past I have found the only way to make them "relent" is to actually do what they are telling me to do, then they seem to go away, how this is only temporary and they just come back even worse. I find the best thing to do in these situations is just to lie down and listen to something on YouTube or just try to go to sleep!!

If you don't mind me asking what is the nature of your intrusive thoughts?
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    Very similar to yours. Things I don't want to do but the intrusive thoughts push on me.

They range from very minor like 'I should push that cup over and watch the water spill' to harming myself or  doing something really dangerous or reckless. Sorry that probably makes me sound crazy!! 

When it gets really bad like it is lately, it just feels relentless and I've been using music and YouTube to try and distract but nothing seems to be working. 

I think I've said before how I've been told they're normal and actually a protective measure and that 'normal' people get them flick through their minds too. But that being autistic my mind catches them and fixates on them rather than the normal way of filtering them out without even noticing. 

So say the thought was 'Red light? I should put my foot down!' a normal person might have that very briefly as their mind then processes that it's illegal, dangerous and they shouldn't do it. But it all happens so quickly they're usually not aware of it. But for me, my mind focusses in on the 'I should put my foot down' part and repeats it so it becomes a focus point. 

It kind of makes sense to me but equally it doesn't help right now when thoughts are so persistent!!! 

Any YouTube recommendations?? <3 
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    Yes that makes perfect sense to me, I can relate to that very much, although it never happens to me with a red light I know exactly what you mean.

This part... "I think I've said before how I've been told they're normal and actually a protective measure and that 'normal' people get them flick through their minds too. But that being autistic my mind catches them and fixates on them rather than the normal way of filtering them out without even noticing." ... is quite interesting as I didn't think of it in that way before, but it makes sense. I have been told that others get the thoughts and just dismiss then, but I have autism as well, so maybe that's why they stay in my mind.

As for YouTube I just watch something that gets my attention as much as possible. For me this is something like comedy, music or Top Gear but might probably be something different for you.

Sorry this is just a quickly typed message as I have to go off now but will check back later!!
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    Thanks @66Mustang it's just nice to be able to talk about them!! I went with some stand up comedy in the end last night and fell asleep so that was good <3 

• 66Mustang
    edited November 2022
    Options
    I think the best way of describing the thoughts for me is, anything I don't want to do or shouldn't do, I am worried about doing.

In any situation if I get any "downtime" my mind will start thinking of if there's anything I shouldn't do, so that the thoughts can start up!!

For example, a mundane situation, sitting in a waiting room, I would maybe think to shout out or make a noise, maybe poke or touch the person next to me, etc.

I know this is relatively inconsequential stuff, but it happens with dangerous stuff too, like if I';m holding a knife, what could I do with it, or if I am driving the car etc. and obviously the possible consequences there are much worse!

It is very upsetting and annoying as it stops me from doing so many things!
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.