Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Back to the grindstone.

Options
wendy41
wendy41 Community member Posts: 228 Pioneering
Since being refused limited capability for work I'm now thrust into 'intesive work search'. I can just about walk on days when weather is wet and cold. So have applied for a job see what happens. See how understanding an employer is (or not). Fingers crossed I get somewhere. I use to do warehouse and factory and now having to look at another direction. I have experience but it's some time ago. Don't feel positive about this. 

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,506 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I hope that you manage to find an understanding employer, and a suitable role @wendy41 :) 

Are you planning on accessing any reasonable adjustments (Scope)?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Sign our petition calling on politicians to stop demonising us
  • wendy41
    Options
    They had that in their application form so put that I can't stand for long periods of time. Also had an age scale. So not holding much hope. 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this with us @wendy41. It takes courage to reach out to us and keep us updated with your experiences and how you are feeling.

Would you feel comfortable sharing more with us about your experience with having that in their application form and having an age scale?

It sounds really difficult for you that you do not have much hope. Would anything, in particular, help things to feel more manageable for you at the moment?

We are all here for you and listening to you if you would like to share more with us. Please don't hesitate to let us know if we can do anything to support you.

You don't have to face this, or anything else, alone if you don't want to  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • wendy41
    Options
    Thank you L_Volunteer. Can't force employers to take you on their payroll. You can do everything else but at the end of the day it's an employers choice. What came to mind with the age scale in the application was age discrimination. As my thoughts were immediately they will take someone more agile and younger than myself. And I've since moved from using a walking stick to a rollator. And this for me is a non-starter sign to an employer. In a 'perfect world' maybe but realistically in my opinion, no employer wants to change their set up for people less able to do a job. I'm sorry if that is pure negative but I was unemployed too long 'before' my mobility issues; so this just compounds things ONTOP of being the wrong side of 50! 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.