Eon warm home discount — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Eon warm home discount

bobby123
bobby123 Community member Posts: 180 Courageous
Anyone know if your on universal credit when this will open and how to apply for it

Comments

• bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2022
    Between November 2022-March 2023, it’s now paid automatically if you meet the criteria.

https://www.eonnext.com/warm-home-discount
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 52,345 Disability Gamechanger
    Unless you live in Scotland or you're claiming pension credit then the rules for the WHD have changed this year. You no longer need to apply, if you're entitled to it, it will be added to your energy account or you will be sent vouchers to the value of £150.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • bobby123
    bobby123 Community member Posts: 180 Courageous
    I get universal credit lcwra and pip standard daily living will I get it automatically or have to apply for it
  • poppy123456
    edited November 2022
    As i advised, unless you live in Scotland you do not need to apply, if entitled to it you will automatically receive it. The criteria has completely changed this year and claiming means tested benefits doesn't automatically entitle you because there's other criteria they look at too. Please read the links i provided.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • poppy123456
    This link here explains it a little more but there's not much information available. As well as means tested benefits..
    Your home must meet also new ‘high energy cost’ rules. This is where data around floor area, property age and property type is used by the government to identify households that are likely to have high energy costs.

• Sianee
    Sianee Community member Posts: 14 Listener
    I did the criteria test on the gov website.  They need in rating from your homes energy certificate.  It turns out that I'm exempt.

My house only has a C energy rating and it could be a B. They said if I had solar panels and new loft insulation then I would get the B rating. 

Unfortunately, I live in a housing association property and the suggestion by the government regarding energy efficiency is not my decision to make. 

So what this means is I miss out on the £150 warm home discount because my HA don't keep my house energy efficient.

I'm rather annoyed as I'm being punished for something that is out of my control.
  • poppy123456
    Sianee said:
    I did the criteria test on the gov website.  They need in rating from your homes energy certificate.  It turns out that I'm exempt.

My house only has a C energy rating and it could be a B. They said if I had solar panels and new loft insulation then I would get the B rating. 

Unfortunately, I live in a housing association property and the suggestion by the government regarding energy efficiency is not my decision to make. 

So what this means is I miss out on the £150 warm home discount because my HA don't keep my house energy efficient.

I'm rather annoyed as I'm being punished for something that is out of my control.

It will be the size and age of your property that is taken into consideration. If my house was 5 sq meters bigger then i would qualify.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,555 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm not sure it's fair to blame the HA there.  Solar panels and loft insulation would cost them huge amounts of money.  
  • OverlyAnxious
    I'm a bit confused by the new system though.  I can manage without the WHD this year so was just going to wait and see whether I get it or not.  But now that I've seen this thread, I'm intrigued!  Is there a list of criteria somewhere?  If it's based on floorspace, does that basically rule out any small flats?

My property doesn't have a recent EPC and I don't know how big the floorspace is.
  • poppy123456
    edited November 2022
    I'm a bit confused by the new system though.  I can manage without the WHD this year so was just going to wait and see whether I get it or not.  But now that I've seen this thread, I'm intrigued!  Is there a list of criteria somewhere?  If it's based on floorspace, does that basically rule out any small flats?

My property doesn't have a recent EPC and I don't know how big the floorspace is.

It's based on age of property and floor space. There's actually a way to check online for yourself to see if you're eligible. See link. https://www.gov.uk/check-if-youre-eligible-for-warm-home-discount
    In all honesty, they way they are doing it this year is ridiculous, many people have been contacted to say they're eligible and they're not even named on an energy account.

• Sianee
    Sianee Community member Posts: 14 Listener
    Sianee said:

It will be the size and age of your property that is taken into consideration. If my house was 5 sq meters bigger then i would qualify.
    What size and age do the properties have to be? My property was built around 30 years ago and is 70m²
  • poppy123456
    Sianee said:
    Sianee said:

What size and age do the properties have to be? My property was built around 30 years ago and is 70m²

I have no idea. You can use the link i posted above to see if you're eligible. My house was built just over 100 years ago but the computer says no.
  • OverlyAnxious

It's based on age of property and floor space. There's actually a way to check online for yourself to see if you're eligible. See link. https://www.gov.uk/check-if-youre-eligible-for-warm-home-discount
    In all honesty, they way they are doing it this year is ridiculous, many people have been contacted to say they're eligible and they're not even named on an energy account.

Thanks Poppy. 

I tried the eligibility checker yesterday but got stuck at the age and floorspace questions.  I've just found out that my property does have an EPC (albeit expired) so that's given me the floorspace. 

I've guessed the age...and gone back to try the other potential age bracket (I know it's early 2000s, just not sure how early!) but with both age brackets it says I'm probably not eligible.

I'd still be interested to know what the 'pass' criteria is if anyone knows.
  • poppy123456

The guidance was always very limited and all it ever said was age and floor space of your property would be looked at. I found this, if you can make any sense of it. There's a link at the bottom of the page. https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications/warm-home-discount-guidance-v1-england-and-wales

• Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,193 Disability Gamechanger

I've been wondering the same!! 
  • OverlyAnxious
    edited November 2022
    Hmm, we'd need to see the BEIS statement.  There are no figures given in that PDF unfortunately.  I've pulled the relevant section for anyone else wondering.

BEIS will publish an eligibility statement, as outlined in paragraph 2.8. As part of this, BEIS will set a high energy cost threshold.

Properties with an energy cost score above this threshold will be considered ‘high cost’, while those with an energy cost score below this threshold will be considered ‘low cost’.

Government data on property characteristics is used to identify whether the determined low-income households are likely to have high energy costs. The following three property characteristics are used, which are held by the VOA for England and Wales:

Floor area: Greater floor area leads to higher energy costs. Those with low incomes in larger properties will face greater challenges meeting their high energy needs.

Property age: How old a property is, is also a strong indicator of energy requirements. The age of a property is correlated to the rate of fuel poverty and average fuel poverty gaps as older properties are likely to have lower than average energy efficiency ratings and higher than average floor area.  In contrast, decreasing energy costs are likely to occur in more recently built properties

Property type is another strong indicator of high energy requirements. For example, detached houses are more costly to heat, mainly due to having more external walls, the properties being larger and less energy efficient. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.