Tomorrows statement — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Tomorrows statement

woodbine
woodbine Community member Posts: 11,303 Disability Gamechanger
With inflation now at 11.1% what are you expecting from tomorrows (budget)statement?

I think was will see tax rises unlike any seen before.
I'm almost certain that pension and benefits will increase by 10.1%(sept.inflation figure)
And massive spending cuts amounting to austerity version 2.
There will be no increase in VAT but the usual duties will rise.
2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Comments

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 43,816 Disability Gamechanger
    I've read lots of maybe s in the media, but unless it's said tomorrow it's not set in stone. Be intresting to watch, thanks @Teddybear12 for the time and channel 
  • woodbine
    By not raising the Tax bands lots of people will be paying more tax without increasing tax rates. Will you be watching tomorrow morning at 10.30am on BBC 1? I will. 
    10-30 ? I was expecting it to be 12-30 ?

• RetroRemix
    RetroRemix Community member Posts: 165 Pioneering
    edited November 2022
    I'm not expecting anything from the Budget, but I'm also expecting everything possible that could be possibly announced, so I don't get too much of a shock either way.

Budgets are never set in stone even after the date has passed... so I really think anything could change anytime.

So I think we be as prepared as we can for both nasty and nice (I really hope and think it will not all be painful and bumpy) surprises down the road, even after the Budget.
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,462 Disability Gamechanger
    @woodbine

I think I agree pretty much with what you said.

I hope they continue with the commitment to raise pensions and benefits by rate of inflation. Otherwise  a lot of people will be suffering.

I am more interested in where they will be cutting public spending and the potential rate of growth or even when we will see a return to growth. These two can undercut any benefits in the increase to pensions and benefits.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 43,816 Disability Gamechanger
    Yeah its on now they were probably having cheese and wine in the garden lol
  • woodbine
    I have to be as objective as possible and say that for a Tory chancellor his budget was pretty fair, although his expectations for growth aren't ambitious and it looks like inflation will still be an issue next year and unemployment will go back over 2 million.

The 10% increase in benefits and pensions will be welcomed by many of us, and the further help next year of £900 for those on UC plus £300 for pensioners and a £150 for disabled people are all positive.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 52,297 Disability Gamechanger
    woodbine said:
    further help next year of £900 for those on UC

Just for others that are reading this, the COL payments will apply to those claiming means tested benefits such as Income Releated ESA/JSA/Income Support, Pension Credit and Tax credits, not just for those claiming UC.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • RetroRemix
    edited November 2022
    I agree, the Budget turned out better than I was expecting and hoping for, because it wasn't all bad news.
  • woodbine
    I agree, the Budget turned out better than I was expecting and hoping for, because it wasn't all bad news.
    Would agree however the back story is far worse, the biggest fall in living standards since records began in 1952, an additional £400 billion of debt, tax thresholds frozen for 6 years, a recession followed by at best sluggish growth and guess what public spending cuts planned for after the 2024 election.

• RetroRemix
    edited November 2022
    Yeah but, on the other hand anything really could change between now and 2024 (it's still a ways off) which may necessitate further changes in the government's long term plans. Heck, things radically change even from month to month.

I'm just hoping that it will change for the better, which seems very unlikely... but more impossible things have happened before!

I mean, it still could have been worse... they could have decided against raising benefits with inflation and keeping the triple lock, which would have made things significantly worse.

So, there's not a lot of reason to hope for things to get better... but I am hoping.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    This is a really insightful post. Thanks @woodbine for initiating this thread and to everyone else for contributing to this thread.

Please feel free to continue sharing your responses. It is a really important conversation where we can hopefully support each other or at least listen to each other  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.