Should they be allowed to put in pre-payment meters? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Should they be allowed to put in pre-payment meters?

2»

Comments

• Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    GLASSBACK said:
    Not sure if anyone is going to scroll this far down? But I’m so annoyed 😒 with our Government!
    Talk about dragging their feet?
    My word!
    Im not a great fan of Conspiracy theory but!
    Is this useless circus at #10 just waiting for the poor and elderly to pass away? Thus rectifying their disgusting treatment of our pensions??
    Someone once said 
    “ if you want to know how much your Government cares?”
    “Look at how they treat the indigenous and indefensible of society ?”
    The erosion of respect for others , let alone the Disabled has only been  going in one direction! 👇⬇️ Down!
    Just how much more DIFFICULT can this Government make it for those who are unfortunately disabled in this country?? Don’t get me started on Blue Badges and illegal use of disabled parking spaces? 
    It should be, like in America, a National crime to illegally use them!
    These wretched wicked , foul mouthed users are so lazy and selfish! 
    They want the FACILITY 
    but not the DISABILITY! 
    It really makes my blood boil 🤯
    By the way….
    if admin is reading this?
    Has there been any ideas put forward to make this website into a social media forum?? Because I find the way we communicate with each other slow and tedious by leaving separate comments etc…
    sent with respect 🫡 

This is a social media platform.
  • Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    GLASSBACK said:
    @Biblioklept I kind of mean in a more conversational way ? Similar to Facebook etc...? Like a chatroom?

Farcebook isn`t a chatroom, but it does have the ability to send private messages.  Farcebook is the same as the Scope forum, just implemented in a different way so that you can see people typing messages in the main page.

• PWM1
    PWM1 Community member Posts: 27 Connected
    I saw an article in the guardian about calls to stop putting in pre-payment meters under court warrant and wondered what people think. 

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/nov/29/calls-for-uk-ban-on-pre-payment-meter-installations-made-under-court-warrants

I go back and forth. Like I agree with everything said in that it essentially disconnects the poorest people. But also if someone isn't ever paying their bills or for energy shouldn't there be some way to make them? I don't know.

What does everyone think??

• PWM1
    PWM1 Community member Posts: 27 Connected
    There will always be an issue or debates about prepayment meters.

I used to work for British Gas trying to win customers back when the had decided to have their energy supplied by a different company. 

These were my findings every single day. 
    A person sitting on their couch, smoking cigarettes, drinking cider or some other cheap alcohol beverage blaming British Gas their price was too high.

Two streets later, I knock on a door to be greeted by a single mother with two young kids struggling to put food on the table. 

It's all about priorities and there truly needs to be additional help from our government for genuine claimants .

British Gas are an excellent company as are many other companies and they would bend over backwards to help their customers. Many ignored the problem in the hope the problem would go away. 

I am very happy in the knowledge everyone now is entitled to the same energy rates regardless of meter type. That is a step in the right direction. 

These are my own views and not politically aimed. 

Have a great day 

Paul.  

• 2oldcodgers
    2oldcodgers Posts: 743 Connected
    PWM1 said:
    There will always be an issue or debates about prepayment meters.

I used to work for British Gas trying to win customers back when the had decided to have their energy supplied by a different company. 

These were my findings every single day. 
    A person sitting on their couch, smoking cigarettes, drinking cider or some other cheap alcohol beverage blaming British Gas their price was too high.

Two streets later, I knock on a door to be greeted by a single mother with two young kids struggling to put food on the table. 

It's all about priorities and there truly needs to be additional help from our government for genuine claimants .

British Gas are an excellent company as are many other companies and they would bend over backwards to help their customers. Many ignored the problem in the hope the problem would go away. 

I am very happy in the knowledge everyone now is entitled to the same energy rates regardless of meter type. That is a step in the right direction. 

These are my own views and not politically aimed. 

Have a great day 

Paul.  

Whilst I agree with everything you have said there is the carrot but we also need the stick!
    For those that you mention both would be helped with a prepayment meter. If anyone is either in debt and making no inroads into paying it back or is finding it hard to pay the bill every month then the help that they need would be the prepayment meter.
    Personally I would object if my monthly payments go towards giving people hand outs. I pay for what I use and more besides it's all a question of prioritising your weekly/monthly budget. 
    Far too many demand financial help when they are not taking responsibility for it themselves.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.