Do you support the strikers ? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do you support the strikers ?

woodbine
woodbine Community member Posts: 11,284 Disability Gamechanger
edited January 2023 in Cost of living
Rail strikes, nurses strikes, ambulance strikes, postal strikes, still to come teachers strikes, possible fire brigade strikes, do you support them or do you think their demands are unrealistic?
2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Do you support the strikers ? 31 votes

yes I support them all
41%
woodbinerebel11calcottiLottgeladyonebigvoiceBibliokleptSteve_in_The_CityPujaHannah_Scope[Deleted User]Fat_JonEmjayesb3112 13 votes
yes I support some
29%
easybg844spudgunSiwheels73slimjohnDebi09MaryElizabethWelshBlueDDN1429 9 votes
no I think they are unrealistic with their demands
29%
tommleeCalLuchiaLisatho11987777[Deleted User]Cartinidurhamjaide2001Itsme541clover2229 9 votes
strikes what strikes?
0%

Comments

• woodbine
    yes I support them all
    Personally I support them all and think they have a valid case for taking industrial action. We have had 12 years of austerity which has now met high inflation, and despite what the government suggest public sector pay increases do not add to inflation, that can only happen if the private sector tries to play catch up, and thats not happening. In fact private sector is leading the way with pay rises, take for example this weeks 17.6% settlement at Rolls Royce.

• Steve_in_The_City
    Steve_in_The_City Scope Member Posts: 511 Pioneering
    yes I support them all
    I don't think anyone wants to be on strike, but sometimes it is the only way of communicating your frustration and dissatisfaction. It has already inconvenienced me, but I for one will put up and shut up about it because I know these are good and caring people who wouldn't be on strike unless absolutely necessary. Needless to say I hope there won't be any casualties, but at the end of the day it is up to the government to listen, mediate and sort matters out. When you have NHS employees striking, you know something is wrong.
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    yes I support some
    Cartini said:
    I`m of the opinion that, just like the police and Armed Forces, anyone responsible for lives and those responsible for the safety of the community should not be allowed to strike.  That includes nurses, doctors & paramedics, the fire service and the ambulance service.
    My thoughts exactly, including Border Force too for me. Train strikes are quite disgusting too! Royal Mail, separate story.
  • Hannah_Scope
    Hannah_Scope Posts: 7,093 Disability Gamechanger
    yes I support them all
    I support the strikes, especially when talks fail or don't even happen to begin with. 

It is of my opinion that services do need to be paid better, I think it's a talking point we have discussed either amongst ourselves, online or in the media for decades.

I do know that today, the hospital in my city was being filmed for the ambulance strike. When they went back to them not even an hour later, they had all gone out on emergencies. It is hard situation :( 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • woodbine
    yes I support them all
    tomm said:
    IMO these strikes are not really about pay. They are about breaking the economy further  if that is possible., The GOVT and Parliamentary opposition  must want  the economy to collapse And Unions of public services  should be Politically neutral and have zero affiliation with any political party. Many people  think they are owed a refund  from the NHS for 20/21 And even today because the F2F GP  service has still not returned to normal PRE 2020 And the response times for Ambulances  is a disgrace a total failure for a 1st world country people  reporting to have been told it could be the next day before  an ambulance  would arrive  others waiting HR's on cold pavements after a fall or RTC

As for the Train Drivers, they are already on a High wage  40k + annually this is the work of  militant  labour run unions  not the drivers
    How can the unions have no affiliation to the Labour Party as it was the unions who formed the Labour Party back in 1900 ? Labour are the party of and for the workers the Tories are the party of and by the rich it's quite simple.
    The difference between the two parties is that Labour if in govt. would sit down and talk to the unions, whilst all this govt. wants to do is vilify the workers.

• Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    bg844 said:
    Cartini said:
    I`m of the opinion that, just like the police and Armed Forces, anyone responsible for lives and those responsible for the safety of the community should not be allowed to strike.  That includes nurses, doctors & paramedics, the fire service and the ambulance service.
    My thoughts exactly, including Border Force too for me. Train strikes are quite disgusting too! Royal Mail, separate story.
    Border Force is a good one that I hadn`t thought about.

• durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Scope Member Posts: 9,748 Disability Gamechanger
    I think it's ridiculous that train, post, ambulance workers and nurses or on strike I think health professionals work to long of hours. 
  • Cartini
    woodbine said:
    tomm said:
    IMO these strikes are not really about pay. They are about breaking the economy further  if that is possible., The GOVT and Parliamentary opposition  must want  the economy to collapse And Unions of public services  should be Politically neutral and have zero affiliation with any political party. Many people  think they are owed a refund  from the NHS for 20/21 And even today because the F2F GP  service has still not returned to normal PRE 2020 And the response times for Ambulances  is a disgrace a total failure for a 1st world country people  reporting to have been told it could be the next day before  an ambulance  would arrive  others waiting HR's on cold pavements after a fall or RTC

As for the Train Drivers, they are already on a High wage  40k + annually this is the work of  militant  labour run unions  not the drivers
    How can the unions have no affiliation to the Labour Party as it was the unions who formed the Labour Party back in 1900 ? Labour are the party of and for the workers the Tories are the party of and by the rich it's quite simple.
    The difference between the two parties is that Labour if in govt. would sit down and talk to the unions, whilst all this govt. wants to do is vilify the workers.
    According to Idol Net Worth, Sir Keir is worth an incredible £7.7million.  Where does that put him?

• durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Scope Member Posts: 9,748 Disability Gamechanger
    Cartini said:
    woodbine said:
    tomm said:

According to Idol Net Worth, Sir Keir is worth an incredible £7.7million.  Where does that put him?

Wow 
  • Fat_Jon
    Fat_Jon Community member Posts: 28 Connected
    yes I support them all
    I never understand why those who do important but low paid jobs, such as cleaners, bin men/women, care workers, etc. do not get decent pay rises. After all, the wealthy leaders of big companies would not be able to function if they had to clean their own work toilets or kitchens and floors. I hate the idea that the boss can get an annual pay rise of more than their workers earn in ten years. 

Yes, in the 1960s and 70s the unions wielded too much power, but now the pendulum seems to have swung the complete opposite way. I'm all for fairness and the current situation is most definitely unfair. 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2022
    yes I support them all
    Cartini said:.

Wow 
    And Rishi Sunsk and his wife have about 100 times that (£730 million).

Starner started from humbler beginnings (his mum was a nurse and his dad a toolmaker) and he worked his way up the legal profession to become Director of Public Prosecutions.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • rebel11
    rebel11 Community member Posts: 1,633 Pioneering
    yes I support them all
    The current Government are more 'Carry On' then the Carry On Films ever were. Over the last 4/5 years it's been just 'ridiculous'. We are the 'laughing stock' of the world.

Out and out lies to get into power, Brexit etc. You can't make up what has happened over the last 12 years. They are clinging on to power. 
  • Cartini
    calcotti said:
    Cartini said:.

Wow 
    And Rishi Sunsk and his wife have about 100 times that (£730 million).

Starner started from humbler beginnings (his mum was a nurse and his dad a toolmaker) and he worked his way up the legal profession to become Director of Public Prosecutions.
    I wasn`t disputing how filthy rich Sunak is, I was making an objective comparison to a comment made by Woodbine that implied Labour MPs were lowly paid, working class people.

• Steve_in_The_City
    Steve_in_The_City Scope Member Posts: 511 Pioneering
    yes I support them all
    Fat_Jon said:
    I never understand why those who do important but low paid jobs, such as cleaners, bin men/women, care workers, etc. do not get decent pay rises. After all, the wealthy leaders of big companies would not be able to function if they had to clean their own work toilets or kitchens and floors. I hate the idea that the boss can get an annual pay rise of more than their workers earn in ten years. 

Yes, in the 1960s and 70s the unions wielded too much power, but now the pendulum seems to have swung the complete opposite way. I'm all for fairness and the current situation is most definitely unfair. 
    I think the same as you @Fat_Jon. I have always known it is workers at the bottom of the pile who support the rest of us. Without unions we would all be paupers. I remember Warren Mitchel who played Alf Garnet in 'Til death do us part relating how he walked for miles to vote Tory and what's more "he borrowed the boots to do it in"!
  • calcotti
    yes I support them all
    Cartini said:
    I wasn`t disputing how filthy rich Sunak is, I was making an objective comparison to a comment made by Woodbine that implied Labour MPs were lowly paid, working class people.

I can’t see anything in Woodbine’s comment that implies that Labour MPs are lowly paid or working class (whatever that encompasses these days).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Cartini
    calcotti said:
    Cartini said:

I can’t see anything in Woodbine’s comment that implies that Labour MPs are lowly paid or working class (whatever that encompasses these days).
    Woodbine`s comparison of rich Tories and (implied) not rich Labour: "Labour are the party of and for the workers the Tories are the party of and by the rich"
  • woodbine
    yes I support them all
    Fat_Jon said:

The daughter of a friend was recently made redundant within a week she got a job with a home care provider for a straight 40 hours she gets just under £500 per week plus car allowance and 35p a mile for petrol, she had no experience in the care sector whatsoever, if I'm honest it's not a job I could do but for those who can that kind of money isn't bad.

That aside I do support all the strikers and am not ashamed to be a member of the Labour Party and a former trade union member myself for several years, it's a fact NOT opinion that union membership is increasing and that unions offer a wide range of benefits, as a member you can chose if you make or don't make a political donation and not all unions have connections with the Labour Party, but I'm not aware of any that have any affiliation with the Tory party.

https://www.etuc.org/en/union-strength-grows-uk-and-sweden

• calcotti
    yes I support them all
    Cartini said:
    calcotti said:
    Cartini said:

Woodbine`s comparison of rich Tories and (implied) not rich Labour: "Labour are the party of and for the workers the Tories are the party of and by the rich"
    Being of and for the workers doesn’t mean low paid. 
  • Cartini
    calcotti said:
    Cartini said:
    calcotti said:
    Cartini said:

Being of and for the workers doesn’t mean low paid
    Sorry calcotti, but it does to me when "the Tories are the party of and by the rich" is specifically highlighted.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.