Benefits — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Benefits

stormmarie24
stormmarie24 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited September 2017 in Benefits and financial support
I was stopped from having my ESA after seeing a medical expert for my medical in March this year and had to go onto JSA but due to having a long term back disability and having to be on morphine based controlled drugs to take daily and also for completely being dishonest in his medical report as to what I had said to him and explained to him and that I was and still suffering from very severe depression and anxiety how would I go about getting this proved although I have the medical report. Would there also be any other disability benefits that I am entitled to be claiming for.

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2017
    Hi and welcome

Can you give us a liittle more about your sityation please ?

When did you receive your decision letter ?
    You have 28 days from the date of the letter to ask for the decision to be reviewed.
    In certain circumstances you can make a late request, if you can show good reason for being late.

Have you applied for PIP ?
    This is the benefit for people that need help completing daily tasks.

Have you put your details into an online benefit calculator ?
    This may will show you what benefits may be available.

Please let us know if we can help with anything

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @stormmarie24

Welcome to our website and online community I do hope that we can help you in anyway ????

I hope that we can help you in anyway !!!!

I'm very sorry to hear about your Benefits !!!!

You will find a lot off other members are in the same boat !!!!
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    HI stormmarie24

Sorry to hear about this. Probably the most important thing to check here is the date of the decision. It is not 28 days from the date of the decision on the decision letter as CockneyRebel suggests, but one calendar month to ask for the decision to be looked at again. Late requests can be made but the longer it is late the more difficult it becomes. And so i would suggest you contact the benefit office dealing with your claim and ask for a mandatory reconsideration if you've not already done this. Take the name of the person you speak to and/or send a letter to the benefit office confirming your request for a mandatory reconsideration. After doing this i would suggest you contact a local advice service as it is likely to help a lot. If the mandatory reconsideration is not accepted you can appeal this decision.

If your condition has changed you can apply for ESA again. But you will probably need to get evidence from your doctor to confirm the change. You can do this at the same time as challenging the other decision.

As far as other benefits go, as CockeyRebel suggests it may be worth checking further on the scope calculator here. And consider PIP here on the Scope pages if not already done.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes
    David
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.