can you qualify for pip if you are dyslexic? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

can you qualify for pip if you are dyslexic?

Options
piano
piano Community member Posts: 1 Listener
can you qualify for pip if you are dyslexic?

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    PIP is a benefit to help with the additional costs of managing daily living tasks and mobility. It is primarily a test of functionality

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Hi @piano

Welcome along to our online community/website.

I have attached some info for below with regards to Benefits/PIP.

https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/benefits-and-finances

Please come back to me if there is any problems.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @piano welcome to the community - as @CockneyRebel says, PIP is not about the condition but how it affects your day to day life so it would be unlikely that you can claim it for dyslexia.

There is a PIP self test here that you can try though.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • melissahicking2019
    melissahicking2019 Community member Posts: 131 Courageous
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Dyslexia does indeed fit certain criteria s for PIP , including Budgeting, Preparing meals and reading signs symbols and words.. Weather or not just dyslexia would be accepted as the only illness is another matter as its unlikley to score enough points , However there is the chance that enough points could be achieved if all points relevant where scored, However it is a fine line between success and failure , and with the current system being completely corrupted by CAPITA and the DWP it is unlikley that a descision maker could comfortably award PIP to a dyslexic. The same applies to a Drug user or an alcoholic. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,230 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Dyslexia does indeed fit certain criteria s for PIP , including Budgeting, Preparing meals and reading signs symbols and words.. Weather or not just dyslexia would be accepted as the only illness is another matter as its unlikley to score enough points , However there is the chance that enough points could be achieved if all points relevant where scored, However it is a fine line between success and failure , and with the current system being completely corrupted by CAPITA and the DWP it is unlikley that a descision maker could comfortably award PIP to a dyslexic. The same applies to a Drug user or an alcoholic. 
    Hi,
    This thread is 1.5 years old but as you commented i thought i'd reply.

PIP isn't awarded because someone has Dyslexia because it's not awarded based on a diagnosis. It's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activities based on the PIP descriptors.

Not all assessment reports are corrupt. Lots of people claim PIP successfully without any problems at all, we just don't often hear the good stories. If someone's had an award they are happy with they have no questions to ask so we don't hear their story.

I've never had a problem claiming PIP and neither has my daughter. Both of us have never received a bad report and we've had 2 assessments. My daughters last recent assessment was paper based. She claims Enhanced in both for how she's affected by ASD, learning disability and social anxiety disorder.

I have fibromyalgia, Chronic regional pain syndrome and 3 bulging discs and because of how my conditions affect me i claim standard daily living and Enhanced mobility.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I have dyscalculia. I claim the lower rate of care so that I can pay for a expensive calculator, a proper evaluation and a special resource pack. I also use the money to pay for my numeracy qualification I’m doing at the moment too. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.