I've got my car on Motability - what would happen if my PIP claim was turned down regarding my car? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I've got my car on Motability - what would happen if my PIP claim was turned down regarding my car?

diamondsmiles
diamondsmiles Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited August 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I,ve been on DLA for around 20 years due to various disabilities and awarded lower rate for care and higher rate for mobility for life. I,ve now got to change and apply for PIP. Since originally making the claim for DLA I,ve now got more illnesses to cope with. I,ve got my car on the Motability scheme. Can anyone please tell me what would happen if my PIP claim was turned down regarding my car. It,s really worrying me if I loose my car, it would make me housebound. Thank you for reading this.

Comments

• Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Hi @diamondsmiles,

Welcome to Scope's online community! It's great to have you here.

I've moved your post into our Ask a Benefits Advisor category, where @BenefitsTrainingCo will be able to advise.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, please do get in touch!
    Liam
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    The simple answer is that if you lose your high rate mobility you will no longer qualify for a motability car.
    http://www.motability.org.uk/about-charity/pip-transitional-support/

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @diamondsmiles

I think there's some kind of grant toward buying a car.  A benefits advisor will know. 
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi diamondsmiles,

There is a £2,000 payment that you will receive if you lose your higher rate mobility and no longer qualify for the motability scheme. Hope the decision is good for you though!

Lee

The Benefits Training Co:

• Lorraine42
    Lorraine42 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Depends how long you've had your car..I received £250. as I only joined motability in 2014 
  • dptclarke
    dptclarke Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    if you have been on dla like you mentionedfor more than 3 years and you loose your high rate mobility component then you loose your car, and the motability scheme will give you £2,000, my partner is on support ESA and he lost his high rate mobility which has resulted in him being housebound as hes not able to walk any distance as always in pain.....
  • Matilda
    There is always the appeal process.  I went from higher rate mobility DLA to standard rate mobility PIP.  Fortunately my car was my own not Motability's.  A Tribunal awarded me enhanced mobility PIP.
  • emer73
    emer73 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    I am new but I lost my car last year after being on DLA for over ten year and on high for both. I got 1,000. I have more health problems and use a wheelchair more but only get basic for both. I am still going through tribunal more than a year on. I have been told by a welfare lawyer I am unlikely to get decision changed but may need to get a new pack and start afresh. Losing the car and insurance, breakdown has almost destroyed my life as I cannot use public transport and 1,00 does not buy much, The car we bought does not meet my needs and when mot due in November probably be without
  • Matilda
    @emer73

Scope, CAB and Disability Rights websites all have guides to PIP appeals.  There is also the Disability Rights benefits handbook with a good guide to appeals.  You have to buy this but there are discounts and it is worth the money.  Available from DR website.

On the face of it, it sounds to me like you merit enhanced both.Why does lawyer think decision won't be changed?

Remember, PIP is not about your diagnoses but about what you can and can't do.  Have a look about how you fit the descriptors.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.