Post liver transplant. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Post liver transplant.

liverbad
liverbad Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hello every one. I am +3 months post liver transplant with slight kidney impairment and newly diagnosed diabetes type 2. My GP has referred me to a wellbeing class at my local sports centre to rebuild my muscles and increase strength and stamina. ( I have not been able to lift a finger for the past 3 years ) I am keen to get fit so I can become employed again.
Currently on ESA and PIP, do I need to inform ESA about the course or can I complete, apply for a job and then finish ESA?

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @liverbad

Good evening I hope you have had a good day ????

I'm very sorry that I haven't picked up your post until now.

I will forward your post onto our Benefit Experts for you.

Hi @BenefitsTrainingCo

Can you please advise on this post ???

Many thanks.
  • liverbad
    Hi Steve51. Sorry, but the site " Could not be reached " not sure of the problem. Thank you for trying.
  • steve51
    Hi @liverbad

I'm very very sorry but it normally works fine !!!!

Please leave it with me a I will sort it out tomorrow.

Many thanks.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,
    I would advice you to inform ESA, this way you don't have anything to worry about because all changes in circumstances MUST be reported. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    Hi @liverbad and @steve51,

I've moved this discussion to the Ask a benefits advisor category, so they can add their reply. 

Thanks,
    Alex
  • steve51
    Hi @Alex and @liverbad

Thank you very much for your help it's very much appreciated !!!!

Many thanks.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Until your circumstances change, you are not required to report anything. -Hoping that you become fitter or even working toward becoming fitter via the wellbeing class, is speculation at this time.
    I really hope that you manage it, but do so in your own time and don't put additional pressure on yourself worrying about the DWP.

CR 
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi liverbad,

You don't have to tell the DWP about doing this course, you only need to tell them if/when your condition has improved and your functionality has improved. 
    You haven't said what group you are in for ESA - work-related activity group or support group. I am guessing you are in the support group or you would have had to attend the jobcentre for regular interviews and therefore would have been given a chance to discuss this with a personal adviser. 
    You sound like you are determined to get better and to get back to work which is a credit to you and I'm sure you'll get there with your positive attitude. All the best,

Lee
    The Benefits Training Co:

• liverbad
    Thankyou all for your comments, i have taken onboard your advice.will get to work on this fitness regime and see how i go.

Thankyou.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Good luck with it liverbadliverbad,

As discussed above, there's nothing for you to report at the moment. If you do get to the point of trying work, remember that ESA can allow something called 'permitted work' which can help you stay on benefit whilst you try out working, depending on your hours and earnings.

Otherwise, for ESA and PIP, unless your actual ability to do things changes, there is nothing for you to tell the DWP.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

• liverbad
    Thankyou very much. I am currently trying a " Well being " course to improve my strength and fitness ( Or lack thereof ) it is hard going but " Permitted work" might be an option later as my fitness hopefully returns.

Much appreciated.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.