Don't know what to do — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Don't know what to do

Lynne53
Lynne53 Community member Posts: 52 Courageous
At present I am on enhanced PIP for Care and Mobility, my husband is on Standard care. We get  SDP as well. My husband is on my ESA claim. In March next year I am due my pension. I am really worried as I don't know what will happen with my husband, if he will get ESA,  do we lose the SDP, and Pension Credit is also thrown into the mix. I'm not being greedy, I just want to know that with so many changes we will be able to cover all our bills and eat. It seems that I have decisions to make without knowing the facts. I am 2 weeks short of 64 and my husband was 64 last month. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,345 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,
    I answered your question this morning on your other thread. You also replied saying thank you. The answer is still the same as it was earlier today. See your other poast here please https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/36099/dont-have-a-clue-what-to-do-now#latest

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @poppy123456

I suggested to @Lynne53 that she ask in Ask a benefits advisor category.  Her question sounds quite complex so I think that a benefits expert's  opinion would help.
  • Lynne53
    Lynne53 Community member Posts: 52 Courageous
    Sorry put itnin the wrong place.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,345 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2017
    Matilda said:
    @poppy123456

I suggested to @Lynne53 that she ask in Ask a benefits advisor category.  Her question sounds quite complex so I think that a benefits expert's  opinion would help.

A quick google search provided me with her answer before i posted. I would never inform anyone of anything regarding benefits if i wasn't sure i was correct. Thank you though.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi Lynne53 - the Guarantee Credit part of Pension Credit is available as soon as your husband reaches the Guarantee Credit (GC) age, which is a variable age and depends on his date of birth. For someone of his age (born in 1953?) with a birthday in August, I calculate he would reach GC age around November this year, but you need to check. You can find out for sure using: www.gov.uk/state-pension-age. As soon as he gets to this age, you need to ask the Pension Service about claiming Pension Credit: 0345 606 0265. If you decide to go ahead, your husband can be the claimant and you can be on his claim, and you can leave ESA behind! The Severe Disability Premium can be paid as part of your GC, just as it is within your ESA. You cannot get pension credit and income related ESA at the same time, so you may as well consider GC as the starting rate is higher and you will no longer have to obtain medical certificates etc. 
    You can find further excellent information about this on the Scope benefits calculator: 
    www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/benefits/check
    When your state pensions come through, then these will affect the calculation of your pension credit, but as long as you both continue to receive PIP daily living component, then the SDP will remain as part of your GC calculation - you may end up getting state pensions topped up by GC, which is all good. 
    I hope this helps,

Jayne
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.