Esa wca medical — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Esa wca medical

Options
gerrys6
gerrys6 Community member Posts: 176 Courageous
i suffer anxiety depression severely and have arthritis badly am on the list for knee surgery having had my pre op assessment and am due to have c b t and then counselling for major traumas in my life all time consuming I have letters and appt for my first counselling triage to see what s going to happen. I had the wca last year and got 0 points I appealed and got awarded 18 points  for mental health my arthritis is worse this year spreading to hand s and arms but I'm getting into such a state over the medical it's next week and I m dreading it 

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @gerrys6

Good mourning & very big welcome to you.

I'm very sorry to hear about your current predicament.

Sorry for asking but is your medical next for "PIP" ????

Sorry again but I need to know so that I can point you in the right direction.
  • gerrys6
    Options
    I'm on pup I've had a review that I sent in august and not heard about a face to face on that I had to appeal against their decision in 2015 too but got awarded it till 2018 tho I had the review in august. The medical next week is for esa which the appeal was for that last year and now I filled in the wca50 sent that back in July but sent all the relevant hospital letters and for the counselling but feel so worried (my anxiety and depressions gotten worse ) because I feel that they will find me fit for work I'm just not lucky with these things I git the 18 points for mental health on appeal for it and I'm worse both physically and mentally since last year do they consider the appeal of last year or just find me gut because that's what they do as a matter of course then I'll have to sign on like I did fit months last year and was awfully unwell each signing on day (I don't like to go out hence why I'm going to have cbt) thx 
  • gerrys6
    Options
    I'm on a lot of medication venlaflaxine tramadol co codamol I'm tired all the time if I don't take my medication (and even when I do) I'm in pain and depressed and crying how can i be employable like that I'm so groggy every day it's an effort to do anything 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,006 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm sorry to hear all that.
    I'm afraid they won't consider the Tribunal decision last time. Each ESA review is like a new claim and they don't consider anything sent to them for the previous claim. I had my review last year and was exactly the same for me.

Did you send it evdence to support your claim when you sent the form back? If you didn't then i'd advice you take it with you to the assessment. Take someone with you if at all possible. Its never a good idea to go alone, especially if you're claiming for mental health such as " not being able to go out alone" Don't just answer with a yes or no explain everything in as much detail as posssible.

I'm guessing beause you scored 18 points at the tribunal then you're in the WRAG group at the moment?

These assessments are always very stressful, i agree. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • gerrys6
    Options
    Yes wrag group but haven’t heard anything from them!! And yes taking my daughter with me and was planning to take the letters I’d sent in too just in case they never made it to the interviewees folder! So can’t I make the point that I’m worse than last year when I got 18 points at tribunal esp if they don’t know I appealed last year? 
    I thought it was a review of the group that your in and also if you ve gotten better enough to do some work if your saying ur worse not better don’t they take that onboard in their decisions also if I’m telling them that I’m on medications and how they make me mongy practically useless I thought it was how ur daily living is as to what u could do in the workplace gods sake I’m dreading it so badly will the outcome of this affect the p I p review that I sent in? 
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello I am sorry what is happening to you at present.  I have been there and have mental health issues.  I went through a ESA experience as many people have.  I took my support worker with me.  I am glad you are taking someone with you.  The support worker did most of the talking and I only answered the questions but kept going on how bad on my worst day.  This advice was given to me by people who have done this before.  Overload the assessor with information on every question.  I wish the best in your assessment I know I passed myself but I have a lot of support and understanding for those going in to be assessed.  First time for a long time in the support group.  I hope things work out.  Remember you have a lot of support and kind words on this forum.  I know I have seen the kind words that people have sent in to me.
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • gerrys6
    Options
    Thanks so much for your encouraging words unfortunately the people doing the assessments are little more than robots they seem insensitive to how hard it is when ur not well either physically (which they can see) or mentally (which they can’t) to go to this assessment and not feel like your on trial for something I’ve not done..I feel like I’m going there to be tripped up somehow for something I’ve not done I m genuinely ill and the stress of this breaks done people don’t it ..
  • thespiceman
    Options
    I agree with you entirely.  I think the stress levels were a factor for me as well so I do understand that.  Having that support your daughter will help.  I have on in the car relaxing music plus make sure they know how really ill you are.  I know you are and will say that.  I ended up really really telling this nurse who had no idea what is going on.  I hope this helps.  What advice and support you are getting from everybody here.  I hope that's is a comfort.  Take care good luck 
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @gerrys6,

i understand why you're so anxious about your WCA next week especially after the battle you had last time round.

It sounds as though you have plenty of evidence to support your claim and you're taking someone with you to the assessment. These things will help. I always advise people to make notes while there or afterwards while it's fresh in your mind. Having someone with you is helpful, it's not a pleasant experience to go through.

I hope it goes well for you and let us know the outcome.

Best wishes
    Debbie
  • gerrys6
    Options
    Thank you Debbie I am incredibly anxious and you re right it’s because of last time and having to appeal I already feel like it can only go wrong because of the figures they have to find capable of Work never mind my mental health bring worse nor the fact the arthritis is getting worse and how I’m now on the list for actual surgery that I can get a call for any day to have !..I just don’t relish the thought of more fighting the system I wish someone would come along and shake it up ! 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    gerrys6 said:
    Yes wrag group but haven’t heard anything from them!! And yes taking my daughter with me and was planning to take the letters I’d sent in too just in case they never made it to the interviewees folder! So can’t I make the point that I’m worse than last year when I got 18 points at tribunal esp if they don’t know I appealed last year? 
    I thought it was a review of the group that your in and also if you ve gotten better enough to do some work if your saying ur worse not better don’t they take that onboard in their decisions also if I’m telling them that I’m on medications and how they make me mongy practically useless I thought it was how ur daily living is as to what u could do in the workplace gods sake I’m dreading it so badly will the outcome of this affect the p I p review that I sent in? 
    ESA is not a review of the previous application/assessment. It's ESA50 is classed as a new claim and they do not take into consideration the previous claim, whether it was a Tribunal or not. ESA is about the work you can do not what you can't do. There's a lot of people that make that big mistake. Being placed in the WRAG is about points scoring where as the Support Group isn't about points.

Any of these assessment are scary whether it's PIP or ESA. Just answer those questions with as much info as possible and don't just answer yes or no. Just take as much evidence as possible, write a diary if you have to as this is also accepted as evidence. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Barrylad1957
    Barrylad1957 Community member Posts: 99 Courageous
    Options
    @gerrys6, sorry to hear youre having this trying time, mate. As others have said on here, I also suffer some head illnesses, and the wait for these things is debilitating and wrong. I had my pip assessment 2 weeks back, and after a long wait, I have now got my wca assessment early next month; I got help from my MP to get mine (I'd been waiting for 11 months), and I got great help and advice on this forum, which I only discovered through a friend a few weeks ago. Youre taking someone with you, which is in itself an invaluable aid, but I dont know if youre aware - because I wasnt until my MP told me - that you can request for your assessment to be recorded by the assessment people; unlike the pip sessions where you have to provide the recording equipment yourself, they make the recording, and it can be utilised as evidence at appeals and the like; I would think that, if they know theyre being recorded for posterity, they will be more inclined to ask the questions that are relevant to your condition, and be more inclined to truthfully represent what you have told them and shown them. If youre suffering from mental illness, dont be afraid to ask your supporters for help and advice, there are groups in your area that can help and its always an idea to make use of them. I'm sorry you are having such a tough time with this, but try not to let it affect you too much; I know thats easy to say, but try and keep your spirits up. Claiming what is yours by right shouldnt be allowed to make your illness worse than it is. You've found the best forum with the best, most supportive people to support you, and because its made such a difference to how I felt before coming on here, I know it will do the same for you. Best of luck with your assessment, and I hope you get a good result.
  • gerrys6
    Options
    Thank you so much Barry 1957 do I need to phone beforehand to have it recorded or Can I ask when I go there on Tuesday will they think I’m being a nuisance? Last year has so unnerved me and the first hand experience at the process being so wrong and cruel almost. 
  • gerrys6
    Options
    Barrylad1957 that last message was meant for you .
  • poppy123456
    Options
    @gerrys6 you can't just go to an assessment and ask for it to be recorded, you need to give them notice of this beforehand. Ring them and ask for it to be recorded but this will delay your assessment and depends what's available as to how long the delay will be.
  • Barrylad1957
    Options
    @gerrys6
    Hello, did you have your work capability assessment today mate? How do you feel it went? Hope it all went smoothly for you, and that youre feeling a bit better now that its done.
  • gerrys6
    Options
    Thanks for asking Barrylad1957 I m not long in they didn’t see me until half hour past my appt time and then I was in there for 50 mins I’m glad it’s over but I’m dreading that letter coming. 
    Think she was ok but who knows there was a trick question that I never thought thru before answering  it was how long does it take to get to my local shop I answered me prob 15 minutes but pointed at my daughter and her prob 3 mins I’m thinking she prob put it down that I can walk for 15 minutes!! I’m going to analyse that appt from now till I get my letter !... then today I received a text thanks for sending my how my disability affects me form back (p I p) and how they may need me to have a face to face consultation once they be made their mind s up they write and let me know on the form I filled in I truthfully said that recently the mental health has worsened and the arthritis too which is true !! Do bet that’s the next thing I’ll b called in for can’t stand this really I can’t.. 
  • Barrylad1957
    Options
    @gerrys6
    If you look under my posts from about two weeks ago, I wrote a full summary of what my pip assessment that week was like - the questions I was asked, how the consultation was conducted,etc. In it, I make reference to one or two questions that they will probably ask you, have a read of it, it may help and I hope it does. There's loads of great info regarding the pip assessment on this site, and its solid gold; I'd have walked into a bit of a trap without the sterling advice of this online community. Read as much as you can.
    At least the wca is out of the way Gerry, its waiting for them that stresses people out, I reckon. I've got my wca next week, and I'm as ready for it as it is reasonable to expect. I've got to the point now, where I don't really care whether I get either award, I just want an end to this painful waiting, and being made to feel as if I've committed some heinous crime by becoming unemployed for health reasons. Glad you got through it unscathed mate, hope you get a good result

• thespiceman
    Options
    Hello glad everything went ok at the assessment.  You will have these feelings did I say the right thing and have I said enough.  I was doing this for days.  In the end I made my self ill and went to doctors. Any way had a chat and that does help. The talking about what is happening.  As others have stated what is done is done.  I got a good result and passed but I had terrible guilt afterwards because I passed and others have not.  Also may I add got my self into a state because I am disabled have mental illness.  Targeted for being that.  Trying to cope and get penalised.  Done a good thing admitted I am ill and have problems .  Need help and support need to ask.  It is not my fault.
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • gerrys6
    Options
    @Barrylad1957 thank you for your words and I will look up your pip assessment I’m only just getting used to using the site and knowing how to reply to certain people by putting an @ at the beginning! So glad yesterday is over just hope it’s gone my way I kept remembering what someone had said on here it was about why I can’t work what prevents me ! But mental health is hard for the person who’s got it and no person who sits with u for 45 minutes can assess ur mental health and decide whether ur fit for work taking into account the physical side of it my health I felt she really couldn’t have written a thorough enough report ! She was keen to get me to do things that she must ve known I can’t do touching my toes!! I said no way well how about squats !!! I’m having operations on my knees I felt like shouting at her it was like she was taking the mick ! Squats indeed.. anyway I just need to forget about it ay what’s done is done for now ...

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.