Looking for recommendations for a Small WAV — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Looking for recommendations for a Small WAV

saraed
saraed Community member Posts: 6 Listener
My mother is no longer able to get into my car so we are looking to get a car of her own.  I would really appreciate it if anyone could tell me which cars to look at or recommend a reputable dealer.  Mum likes the idea of riding up front and really needs a reliable car.  HELP!! ☺

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,322 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,
    Does it have to be a WAV? if not have you thought about an SUV? these are higher than normal cars and are easier to get in and out of. Does she drive herself, is she a wheelchair user?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • saraed
    Hi Poppy123456,  thanks for replying.  Unfortunately yes, mum is a wheelchair user and can't drive, thankfully, any more but also cant weight bare.  Wheelchair accessible is a must.  
  • Blue Frog
    Blue Frog Community member Posts: 358 Pioneering
    edited October 2017
    Hi @saraed We have a Citroen Berlingo - it's lovely. Nice and easy to park and plenty of room for my little one's wheelchair and an extra seat in the back for her friends but that's an option. Peugeot Partners are pretty much identical. 

Automotive Group supplied it - they are very good in terms of both customer service and the quality of the vehicle/adaptation. They came to our house to do the test drive. We have a 'nearly new' one on Motability the deposit was £345 and its a 3 year lease (instead of 5) 

Are you going via Motability? If you are purchasing privately, Jubilee Automotive in Walsal are very good (we had one from there before my little girl got high dla) they sell a range of second hand ones.

http://automotivegroup.co.uk/

• Blue Frog
    edited October 2017
    Ah sorry just seen about the riding up front option. They are a lot more expensive, and there aren't as many about but they do exist. I didn't fancy getting smacked round th head when my little girl has spasms so not an option for us!!!! 

This is the same as our van, my little girl is quite happy in the back and can see out really well and still hear me chattting to her. 

Wihout being rude, if your mum's chair is heavy, ask for one with a winch to help her get in and out x
  • saraed
    That's brilliant info - I can understand the desire not to be smacked by your daughter - mum might well need to ride behind as she's quite fond of smacking me when I drive too fast
  • saraed
    Seriously thanks for all the info!!  We are thinking of getting a fiat multiple but I'm extremely concerned about their reliability - they don't have a good reputation....
  • Blue Frog
    Motability have a lot of open days with all sorts of vehicles you could both try. Let me know what you get when you choose. 

I was very sad having to get rid of my beautiful car but the WAV has made life a million times easier x 
  • saraed
    Oooooo, will have to investigate!  It would be good to try them first.
  • Blue Frog
    Hi @saraed did you find a vehicle for your mum? x
  • saraed
    Hi @Blue Frog. I hope so, I contacted Jubilee motors in Birmingham who are bringing a skoda roomster down next Monday for mum to try.  It's smaller than the partner mum and I hired for the day.  It was a good car but noisy and rolled quite a bit.  I'm hoping the skoda will have more of a car like feel.  Fingers crossed it's perfect because we could really do with some transport!!
  • Blue Frog
    Ooh lovely! They are nice and you're right they look just like a car (not a van) hope you get on ok let us know what happens x 

Brightness