Euthanasia — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Euthanasia

Options
tesswheatley
tesswheatley Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi, I’m Tess! I’m a second year Graphic Design student at Nottingham Trent University. I am currently doing a group project that is arguing for “anti-euthanasia”. We are in the stage of collecting as much research as possible from various groups to help our argument.

I have come here to look for anyone’s views on euthanasia, whether against or for. Mainly I’m looking for opinions on whether you feel the law should be changed and what consequences this may have, if it’s something you have ever thought of for yourself, or ever considered for a family member or friend, I’m also interested in your views on what alternatives you think could be offered to anyone considering euthanasia – maybe more funding in drugs, or technology to help them for instance?

All answers will be anonymous and will go no further than our project (there may be a chance you’ll be quoted on something you’ve said specifically, though again this will be anonymous. Feel free to tell me if you don’t wish to be quoted.)

I look forward to hearing your responses, 

Tess

Comments

• Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    Options
    I would love this to be an option but I think it would be very hard to get it right. Compulsory euthanasia should never be implemented though.

There comes a time to someone like me where a very high risk surgery would be preferable to living but we aren't allowed to take the risk. Surgeons are too concerned with failure rates. Maybe we could opt to take such high risks with a strong possibility of failure as OUR risk. This might take the 'euthanasia' word out of things thus making it more acceptable to the general public.

America has a DNR option which, afaik, is not available in Britain. Perhaps this is something else that could be considered under this discussion.

I know that this is a difficult subject to consider but, when you are in my position, is something that really should be ok to talk about. It would HAVE to be with the consent of the person concerned consent though.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi Tess and welcome

A very interesting topic.

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • the_velvet_girl
    the_velvet_girl Community member Posts: 107 Courageous
    Options
    I'm in support of Euthanasia if that is what the person wishes. We euthanize animals when they are deemed to have a poor quality of life and are suffering so I don't think it's appropriate that we allow humans to suffer severe pain with a low quality of life.
    I briefly researched Dignitas a few years ago when my condition deteriorated and I felt like a burden to my friends who were caring for me. My health improved so I didn't feel it was necessary to look in to it further at this stage.
  • Markmywords
    Markmywords Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    Options
    "Anti-euthanasia" when it's already illegal in this country?
    A Graphic Design project?

Students !

Nothing personal at all but I'm tired of people coming here to mine us for data for their own benefit. :(

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.