Why do I have to pay motor tax? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Why do I have to pay motor tax?

carolee
carolee Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I have a blue disabled badge for the car and I get the higher rate mobility allowance in my attendance allowance but I still have to pay motor tax.  I enquired about this at a tax office some time ago and was told I had to be in receipt of DLA as it was at the time.  I am now 78 and was never in receipt of any allowance before being awarded attendance allowance a couple of years ago.  It seems unfair that I have to pay tax for my car because I don't receive a benefit which is unavailable to me.

Comments

• Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    This is something I don't really understand. You can be classed as disabled after retirement only if you are disabled at the time you retire. As this can make such a difference I do wonder why they have placed such a restriction on us. As I am approaching retirements in a few years I worry, even though I will never improve, that somehow I will lose my DLA just before retirement due to the PIP mess. Perhaps someone else can understand why this restriction is in place.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2017
    @carolee

Attendance allowance has no mobility component.
  • carolee
    Matilda - thanks for that - of course you are totally right.  I was so preoccupied with mobility issues that I forgot that it is the higher rate of personal care allowance that I get.  But like Topkitten I cannot understand why a disabled person can be disbarred from getting free motor tax when there is no way I can qualify for it under current regulations - surely this must be discrimination against older people?  I also appear to be precluded from taking advantage of the motability scheme.  Or am I misunderstanding the rules?
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @carolee

A benefits advisor will be able to explain in more detail.

The rules are unfair and discriminate against people over 65 but, unfortunately, those are the current rules.

PIP is for 'working age' people, those aged 16-64.  However, if someone is in receipt of PIP before aged 65 then they keep PIP after age 65.  But they can only ever receive the rate of mobility PIP in which they were of receipt before age 65.  So, if no mobility pre-65 then post-65 they cannot apply for mobility.  If standard mobility pre-65 then they can keep that post-65 but cannot apply for enhanced mobility.

If in receipt of DLA pre-65 then they keep DLA post-65 until they are re-assessed for PIP.

If people were not in receipt of PIP/DLA pre-65 then post-65 they can only apply for attendance allowance which of course has no mobility component.

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    carolee,

I'm afraid what Matilda says is absolutely right. Once you reach the age of 65, it isn't possible to qualify for a benefit which will help you get exemption from vehicle tax, nor can you access the motability scheme.

Whilst this is discrimination against older people, the government justify it because once we are over 65, we are more likely to have mobility problems. To put it another way, the government are not prepared to help us with a cost most of us will experience as we age, even though I appreciate that not all people over 65 have mobility problems. They have decided to concentrate resources on people who become disabled at a younger age.

I am sorry to say that the Upper Tribunal decided some time ago that the age cut -off is not contrary to EU law. You won't be surprised to hear that people have campaigned to change it though. This research report sums it up:

http://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/SN07160/SN07160.pdf

I'm afraid you'll see that legally, it has been held that although it is discrimination, it is justified. I'm sorry to have to say that because I appreciate that doesn't bring down the cost of motoring for you! You could have a look at the end of that publication which signposts to some other help for those over 65 with mobility restrictions.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

• carolee
    Will - Thank you so much for explaining the rules to me.  I didn't understand how a sizeable section of the public could be excluded from receiving a benefit on a permanent basis.  It makes sense to me now - it is all about money.

I have just joined the Scope online forum and am very impressed by the posts which my query has received and by what a friendly lot you are!!

Carole
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    If PIP only goes to age 65 what about those of us with a retirement date beyond 65? For example, I won't be eligible for retirement benefit until I am 66 (my official retirement age). What would I do for that extra year?

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    PIP does not stop at 65. If you are in receipt of PIP when you reach 65 and you continue to meet the criteria then your award will continue.
    Specific to the age of 65 is the mobility award which cannot be increased after the age of 65 but can continue at the same level

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.