Does anyone know if diabetic neurology qualifies toward pip ? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Does anyone know if diabetic neurology qualifies toward pip ?

Richardjs1
Richardjs1 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Does anyone know if diabetic neurology qualifies toward pip ?

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Richardjs1
    PIP is less about the impairment and more about how that impairment affects you in day to day life.

You can try the PIP self test here.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Richardjs1

Welcome to our online community/website.

I hope that we can help/support you with ??????

I have provided you with the gov info on pip.

https://www.gov.uk/pip

Please please let me know if I can help you further ???
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    @richardjs1 I am not diabetic but I have peripheral neuropathy and upper body nerve damage. I can only tell you about my own experience. My assessor who professed to be a Paramedic had no understanding of how this affects me which was evident by her report with comments like "although she suffers from Peripheral Neuropathy she is prescribed pain relief." as if this magically made it disappear. Yes I am but it's not for PN it's for other things. It has no effect on the numbness, tingling and burning experienced from this condition. It was also not understood for the danger related to standing in the bath to shower when you can't feel your legs and feet. All the way through assessment, 2 MR's and a complaint made of which this was a part it was not accepted and I remained on standard rate Daily Living because of it. Diabetes has other disabling features so it's worth applying just so long as you are aware you will need strong medical evidence to over ride the limitations of the assessor's knowledge. 
  • Richardjs1
    Richardjs1 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you for your response, Wildlife, it's as expected. 
    I currently get dla and haven't yet been invited to attend for pip

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.