Getting a mortgage on Disability Benefits. Landlord Selling our house - Help! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Getting a mortgage on Disability Benefits. Landlord Selling our house - Help!

jdmtthws
jdmtthws Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Wondered if anyone can help me, my landlord has just told us they're selling the house we live in. We have been offered first refusal. We are all on long term disability benefits. I don't know how I would even go about trying to get a mortgage.

Any help would be greatly appreciated 
Thank you 

Comments

• AlexW_Scope
    AlexW_Scope Scope Posts: 224 Pioneering
    Welcome @jdmtthws - have you looked at the info about HOLD? This might give you useful background about mortgages. Have a good weekend, Alex

• MikeBroderick
    MikeBroderick Community member Posts: 235 Pioneering
    edited June 2017
    Hi @jdmtthws:

Welcome to the Community. Another member recently posted a very similar question: Can you apply for a Mortgage on Benefits.

Please check out that conversation.

Great to have you with us!
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jdmtthws.

It's great to have you onboard.

Please please have a good look at this above info.

And please please let me know if I can help you further ????
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    jdmtthws,

There is nothing to stop you applying for a mortgage whilst on benefits, but whether a lender will agree to the loan is another matter. Please see the other thread for more on this.

As my colleague points out on there, if you take out a mortgage whilst on income-related benefits (eg income-related ESA) you can't always get help with the mortgage interest from the benefits system. However, if you've been getting housing benefit (HB), you CAN get help with mortgage interest. You can only get help up to the same level as HB under this rule. It's also possible to get help because the home is better suited to the needs of a disabled person, but there may be problems for you using this rule as you have to show a link between the purchase of the home, the loan, and the move (that is, the original move to your home, which may be some time ago).

If you're not on income-related benefits, then you can't get help with mortgage interest anyway, so you don't need to worry about this rule (for example, if you are all on contributory ESA, PIP or DLA only).

I'm not a housing adviser at all, but if the mortgage option doesn't look possible, I'd suggest that you approach your local council about whether you can be rehoused in suitable accommodation. 

Will

The Benefits Training Co:

• AlexW_Scope
    AlexW_Scope Scope Posts: 224 Pioneering
    We have created an FAQ page about mortgages that you might find useful. Hope this helps! Alex

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.