Adult Social Services — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Adult Social Services

Catman
Catman Community member Posts: 64 Courageous
Hi. Has anyone had experience of Adult Social Services? They now want to become involved after receiving a Police report after yet another DV situation which has led to my partner going to prison. I've totally crashed tbh, my Fibromyalgia is at it's worst and I'm barely coping. I'm still concerned however as once they get involved will I totally lose control over making decisions about my life?

Comments

• BeccaShark123
    BeccaShark123 Community member Posts: 46 Courageous
    Hi @Catman ! Sounds like you're going through a really tough time. I have fibromyalgia, and it can be extremely painful- I've been through difficult periods with it too.

I am sure you can discuss your concerns with the adult social services team- they will advocate for you to remain as independent as possible. They can probably, at best, advise you, unless they felt you were too incapacitated to make your own choices. But it is best to go in with an open mind, and raise any fears and anxieties you might have as you begin working with them. I am sure they will put you at ease. It's your life, and you are in control.

If you want to chat, just give me a virtual shout!

Becca :)
  • Catman
    Thanks Becca.. The truth is my ex was often being arrested and she's assaulted me countless times, there's quite a log via Survive (Now called Next Link), Police and Social Services about what's been happening. I'm about to lose my home, I'd sold as part of the plan myself and my partner had in order to help get her kids back, I still have nowhere to live as yet, though I'll be getting quite a lot of money from the sale. I have a lot to sort out and time is running out before the two cats and I need to move. It's all overwhelming, esp'ly as I'm almost bed bound right now due to the pain and fatigue. 
  • BeccaShark123
    BeccaShark123 Community member Posts: 46 Courageous
    Hi @Catman. That does sound very stressful, and won't have helped your fibromyalgia at all. I get really bad around exam period at university, and then I get more stressed because I can't get the revision done. How have things been since we last spoke?

Becca

P.s. Slightly off topic- I have a cat called George!
  • Catman
    Hi Becca. Things are still real tough to be honest with you. I sold my home, end of Sept and am now living with Rach again, on the Isle of Sheppey, in Sheerness with her Mum and Step-dad. She's attending Probation every Monday and Friday and I drive her there, to Sittingbourne, a twenty min drive. I now have another IDVA (Independent Domestic Violence Advisor). Rach still kicks off at times but is definately trying to get sober. I'm however getting to the point again where enough is enough. 

I keep getting fibro-fog and make mistakes and keep being forgetful. This was partly to blame for an awful three hour drive yesterday from Sheerness to Clevedon. She visits her two sons every week in Bristol at a contact centre. Rach went into anger mode yesterday and was shouting and screeming at me in the car most of the way down. Becca, I'm too old for all this stress, I'm 46 and crave the quiet simple life and am simply not getting that right now. Rach is 34, a beautiful woman that sadly has mental health and alcohol issues which are so unpredictable, I just don't always know how she's gonna react or when she's been drinking. Sometimes I feel she's using me for the money I got from the sale of my home, and that scares me as I the money I have is slowly going down. Right now, I can still get out of this and find a new home for me and Casper my cat. Sadly missy had to be rehomed. I'm at a cross roads and don't know which way to turn. 

Hope you n George are well.

God bless

Phil 

Brightness