Immigration status changed — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Immigration status changed

Options
pinemartine
pinemartine Community member Posts: 53 Courageous
Hi, everyone.
My husband is disabled and I am act as his full time carer. But I couldn't claim Carer's allowance and also he has been getting single person's ESA because of my immigration status (I was not allowed to access to public fund.).
I recently applied for permanent visa and I got it today. I wonder if I have to report it to job centre plus etc. as a change of circumstances. Also I would like know what is going to happen then. Does he have to have another assessment for ESA? How can I claim carer's allowance?
Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi congratulations on getting your visa

As there are many different possibilities with your new status, it might be better to either ring the Scope help line or get f2f advice from CAB

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options

Hi @pinemartine

I'm presuming your status is now 'settlement' or 'Indefinite Leave to Remain' and that there is therefore no further restrictions.

Working on this basis (and please do let us know if my assumption above is not correct), then to be added to the ESA claim, you will simply need to declare the change - to do this you can call the DWP and request an ESA3 form and complete it, and send a cover letter with a copy of your visa explaining what the change is - the DWP will probably still want to see the original at the Jobcentre, and you can make an evidence appointment for this in due course, but I wouldn't recommend posting the original as they have been known to lose them!

As regards Carer's Allowance, you can claim online or request a paper form from the DWP https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance/how-to-claim again, they will probably send out a request for you to prove your immigration status and you will need to comply with this, but the claim should be fairly straightforward.

In terms of benefit payments once the claims are sorted, assuming that as a household your income and capital does not reduce your entitlement to income based benefits, your partner's 'personal allowance' will be increased to couple rate (from 73.10 to 114.85/week), and a Carer's Premium of 34.95 will be added to the claim. This means an overall increase in ESA of 76.70. A deduction will then be made from the ESA of 62.70 for the Carer's Allowance, and you will be paid this separately. The weekly gain for the household will therefore be 76.70.

If you receive Housing/Council Tax benefit you should also notify them, just because of your duty to notify. If you do not receive full Housing Benefit, your entitlement to this will also increase with the addition of the Carer's Premium.

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

Mar

The Benefits Training Co:

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    *Mary* !
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.