can I ring to ask to speak to the decision maker pip reconsideration ? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

can I ring to ask to speak to the decision maker pip reconsideration ?

gh49
gh49 Community member Posts: 44 Connected
edited October 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello it's my first time on here, after reading some comments seems as though everyone who applies for pip is left waiting and wondering if they are to believed.  I had my face to face pip assessment on 14/9, received my decision letter on 5/10 (letter dated 27/9) I was awarded 6 points for daily living and 4 points for mobility. I had already asked for a copy of the assessors report as I felt humiliated and not believed. The assessor was abrupt and uncaring!! I got decision and copy of report on the same day. You hear horror stories, just like a lot of people you look at it and think is this my details. So many inaccuracy's and non truths I could not believe it. I have mental health issues a defective spine bulging discs, nerve compression and spondylosis and I'm in severe pain every day, I didn't cope well at the assessment at all. The report said I could stand up easily, walk at normal pace etc but this is not true. I have said there must be cctv and I have asked for this to be reviewed in my MR which I sent in on 8/10. I have rang to check if it has been received and was told it has been scanned onto the system on 11/10, my question is (sorry for going on) can I ring to ask to speak to the case worker? Would they tell me anything over the phone? Has anyone done this and is sending in a MR even worth it ? Any help would be appreciated thanks

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @gh49, I've moved your post into the 'Ask a benefits advisor' category where somebody will hopefully be able to assist you further. 

In the meantime, there is some more in-depth information about the MR process here, that you may find useful. Hope this helps!
  • gh49
    Oh thank you very much pippa x
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    edited October 2017
    Hi gh49,

You won't be able to speak to the person who completed the assessment but you can speak to a case manager from the DWP if you want to. 
    It is really important at this stage to ask for a mandatory reconsideration and to supply medical evidence if you have any, and to identify which descriptors you should have scored points on and why. You can get practical help with the dispute process from your local CAB or Welfare Rights service.
    But please don't give up! You owe it to yourself to fight this decision all the way to a tribunal if they have misrepresented or misinterpreted your difficulties in the report and in the decision and so many appeals are won because of how poor these assessments are. Good luck!

Lee
    The Benefits Training Co:

• gh49
    Ok thanks very much I have sent in my reconsideration request ! Along with some medical evidence. The same evidence the assessor claimed to photocopy to send to DWP but was not mentioned in the decision letter. She asked me to sign a piece of paper she said she would fill in the blanks later, this was to be the header for my new diagnosis of bilateral pars defect with spondylosesis, yet this did not make it to the Dwp. I am just stuck for words. It is the new case manager I meant that I would like to speak to, I didn't know if it would be frowned upon me ringing? I just wanted to see if anyone thought it would be OK? My friends and family tell me not to ring but I would hope this could be sorted at this stage rather than in tribunal I feel I need to speak to them to let them know I'm genuine and the assessor is not, anyone rang before receiving decision of MR any good come from it ? Thanks
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    Hi gh49,

I have spoken to case managers plenty of times before, there is nothing wrong in doing it and you shouldn't be afraid. You should do it in a calm manner though (even if you feel like blowing up) because they can terminate the call if they are being shouted at.

Lee

• gh49
    Thank you I will ring on Monday, I have had a couple of weeks to calm down ! Thank you for your help 
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    gh49,

You could also consider making a complaint to the assessment company (ATOS or Capita). You don't have to do this, and it shouldn't make any difference to the outcome of your mandatory reconsideration or appeal if you don't, but it is one way of directly expressing your concerns about the very poor service they provide.

You can complain by email to:
    pip-customerservice@atos.net

or

complaints@capita-pip.co.uk

Will

• wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    @gh49 I am coming to this discussion rather late but I rang and booked a call back from a case worker and made a complaint to ATOS and it made all the difference for my MR although I only scored a partial victory. The calls are standard practice and sorry to say your family are wrong to tell you not to ring. I would recommend you write to complain rather than emailing especially if your assessment company was ATOS. I did both, the letters were responded to but emails were not. Please let us know how you are getting on..   
  • gh49
    Thank you very much wildlife, I'm plucking up the courage to ring today. I only need 2 points for standard care, 4 for mobility, perhaps I'm selling myself short but even if I got the 2 points for care I would accept that. The report is full of inaccuracies and gaps. I will let you know how I get on and your message has made me feel better about ringing, yes ATOS ☹️
  • gh49
    Hi will thank you I'm going to call today and will update here with my experience, kind regards 
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    wildlife  - thank you, good tips about writing as well. You shouldn't have to, but I agree, do both.

ATOS are far too ready to ignore complaints, so as wildlife knows too well, you have to be persistent.

Will

• gh49
    Hi guys, well I've rang, asked to speak to my case manager, call back arranged for within 3 hours. I've just had a call back half hour later! Guy went through security then said we have all the info we need to make the decision (which is what the advisor in first call had already told me) he said the case manager has all the details. I said oh I thought it was the case manager ringing me back, he said oh no ! Just expect a letter in the post, so I'm no further forward aargh 
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    edited October 2017
    @gh49 That should NOT have happened. The advisor you spoke to first should have organized a call back within a 48 hour period with a Case Manager. They used to be called Decision Makers so I wonder if there's some confusion going on. Anyway It's up to you whether you ring back and insist on speaking to a Decision maker or leave it till you get the M. Reconsideration back. Do bear in mind if they don't change the award you can still insist on speaking to a DM. They don't tell you but if you ask they can still keep looking at your claim in between MR and Appeal but make sure you apply for Appeal as well to keep all options open. Also be aware every time they review your claim you are at risk of losing points as well as gaining them so do be careful. Every case is different and what is right for one person may not be right for another. Just a thought that if you sound nervous on the phone they will pick up on it and you may get fobbed off. You have every right to speak to the people making the decisions so stand your ground. Let's hope you get the result you're looking for so none of this will be necessary. Good Luck..   
  • gh49
    Thanks wildlife yer I could feel my voice breaking on the phone, I had specifically asked to speak to MY case worker, this abrupt loud man rang me back nd yes I felt stupid, I’ve never done anything like this before ! Anyway thanks for letting me know that they do still look at case between MR and appeal, that is good to know as I will fight this all the way. I am gonna leave it a week see if letter comes and take it from there, cheers for taking the time to reply ! Much appreciated 
  • BenefitsTrainingCo

@gh49 I think good choice to wait for the paper decision, often the Decision Makers are no more polite than the callcentre staff, so it may only make you feel worse to have them say it at you over the phone as well as write it to you in letter format.

Remember also that this is just the DWP looking at the own decision, and it is generally their prerogative to maintain a refusal - this is just a step you have to go through to engage your appeal rights, so don't be disheartened if they maintain the refusal.

Mary

• gh49
    Thank you Mary - just waiting for that brown envelope now! I will update when I get it, kind regards

• gh49
    Hello 
    it has taken me literally 2 weeks to come to terms with the outcome of my MR I am feeling so naive ! No change, not one of my points raised have been addressed, I politely said  that the woman (for want of a better word) reported many "inaccuracy's " and surprise not one of them were considered. One of the points I raised was asking for the cameras/cctv to be looked at to prove that I did not walk unaided at a normal pace. When going through the reply this was not raised at all apart from saying ATOS have no reason to lie !! Gutted, although not surprised, 2 points is all I needed and I would have been more than happy for daily living at the lower rate, now I'm not the whole system is wrong so tribunal it is ! Hell has no fury like a woman scorned. 32 unbroken years of employment? 49 years old, trying to cheat the system I DONT THINK SO, any advice / tips would be appreciated, thanks for reading my rant lol 
  • cathie
    cathie Community member Posts: 143 Courageous
    Hey you sound like me ..lol and a thousand other singing  from the same page  no reason to lie  where does this person live under a rock ... see i belive there must be so much  more to all this 
     Bigger pic ..why on earth is it common knowledge yet being allowed again and again  over turns for those of us that didn't starve or kill yourself s so many did reports  show yet there still allowed to be in employment via the government..no accountabilty should all be taken to court .it's cruelty on man kind ..  it's against human rights . A crime  last time I looked .. but maybe if totally misunderstood  the human rights act ... there main theme is to prove you a pair cheater scoundal main   thing they must talk about amoung them self how to wear them down and remove another to gain brownie points .. can't see it any other way .unless they all been taking drugs   makes no sense other wise    if we the weakest  people in society had more strength there would have been a riot .it's criminal    and every body knows it ..  sorry can't help me self soap box again ...
    Only me .. cathie..
  • gh49
    It's so true cathie they are playing god! They make us feel worthless ☹️
  • cathie
    cathie Community member Posts: 143 Courageous
    Yeh god or Hitler what I experienced from so called assessment  officer made me shake scary and this was on the phone  they want ne to be locked in with him in a centre  r u for real  on the form says we will treat you with respect and show you nothing but friendly vibes   o.m.g. I'm calling that Scottish dave back Monday now I have my wits  about  me caught me total Un aware not prepared  for him ..I bloody will be Monday how dare he  put me down as aggressive  mot sure why . But he will see aggressive  alright  felt so shaken by this man  claims he was making calling me a lair  not taking any thing I said ie was shouting you filled out these forms  I never did  signed my name yes .said you don't have a clue what's going on trouble with you you don't read  anything wanted me to say I can see evidence he was showing me ....err phone s don't allow me to see anything  was a date .turns out date two people came to my house  ****. Scared the he'll out of me calmed down now ill give him Scottish dave  out to show his  aggressive  nasty behaviour  once I said I taped the interview was so concerned  I'd I informed them first then your call is being taped no longer wanted to talk called w.d.p. had no record of me ever being aggressive. . Has no idea what this was about gut menti to make me another appointment .. never did ..  bit won't be allowing this  shows fire with fire wits about you every action every word recorded learnt lesson hard way ... 
    Only me .. cathie..

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.