If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Can my son claim ESA support and PIP?

SystemSystem Posts: 577

Scope community team

This discussion was created from comments split from: I have a son with mental illness, he hears voices.


  • AlexAlex Scope Posts: 1,324 Pioneering
    Hi @Manda11,

    Welcome to the community, and sorry to hear the about the tough time you and your son have gone through. I've moved your post into a new discussion, so that you might be able to get some advice on our benefits question.

  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering
    Hi manda11,

    As your son is on Universal Credit, he will have to stay on UC as he is no longer able to claim any of the old means-tested benefits. However, unlike ESA, there is no UC rule that treats you as having limited capability for work while you are waiting for the work capability assessment to be carried out, which means he may still have to do his work searches etc.
    Your son can apply for PIP though as should do so as soon as possible. He can start the claiming process by calling the DWP on 0800 917 2222. 
    If your son is receiving a housing cost element in his UC but this element does not match what his rent is, he should contact his Local Authority to request a discretionary housing payment, which although is only a short-term action, may give him some extra help with his rent.

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
Sign in or join us to comment.