Hi, my name is dm42377! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is dm42377!

Options
dm42377
dm42377 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hello, can my husband claim income support while waiting for carers allownce claim to be processed or does he need to wait untill it has been awarded

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @dm42377, welcome to the community! I've moved your post to the 'Ask a benefits advisor' category, and they'll hopefully be able to help you.

In the meantime, here is some more information about Carer's Allowance.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi dm42377,

Your husband can apply for Income Support whilst he is waiting for a decision on his Carer's Allowance. If he is refused IS because he is not receiving CA, he should claim again when he gets the CA decision and ask for his IS to be backdated to the date of his first IS claim. 
    IS is means-tested though, so any other income you or he may have may be taken into account against your entitlement. Please message us again if you want any more information about that.

Lee
    The Benefits Training Co:

• dm42377
    Options
  • dm42377
    Options
    My husbands claimed IS today (thanks Lee). I am waiting for the result of my ESA medical assessment when I went for this I did not tell them I had just been awarded pip (standard daily living & enhanced mobility). Should I have told them also if I fail the assessment what can we claim?
  • dm42377
    Options
    Added to the above... Would I need to keep getting sick notes if I no longer get ESA but we still get pip income support and caters allowance thanks
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options

Hi @dm42377

If you're not going back on ESA then you won't need sick notes.

As regards telling ESA about PIP, I wouldn't worry too much - maybe it might have been noted by the EMP, but also possibly not. If you want them to take this into consideration you could always call the DWP and ask them to consider this in their decision. The number is 0345 608 8545

Kind regards,

Mary

The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.