Carer's allowance
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Carers allowance

AnnamaewongAnnamaewong Member Posts: 1 Listener
I get the enhanced PIP for both mobility and care and so am entitled to carers allowance but have no-one who could claim it for me. Is there a way I can claim it so that I can pay someone for asistance?


  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering
    Hello Annamaewong. I'm glad to hear you are getting enhanced rates of PIP. Just to be clear though: carer's allowance is paid to a carer who cares for someone who gets either rate of the Daily Living component of PIP. There are other rules as well, but you, as the disabled person, would not be the one who could claim carer's allowance. The only person who could claim it would be the carer herself/himself. If you need assistance, then you would need to contact the social services department of your local authority so that they could carry out an assessment to see what help you needed and who should pay for it. You are of course free to make your own arrangements. It may also be a good idea to check that you are getting all the other benefits you are entitled to, as sometimes getting PIP can trigger higher entitlements in other benefits. 
    Have a look at the benefits calculator in this Scope website: This will tell you if you are getting the right benefits, and also has some very useful information about the qualifying conditions for carer's allowance.
    I hope this helps, and please contact us again if you have any more queries.

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
Sign in or join us to comment.